Who ever thought of the expression “easy as pie” must have been thinking of my “15 Minute Apple Pie a la Mode” because ordinarily, pie is a bit of work.
Flakey pie crust, warm caramelized apples, caramelized walnuts and Haagen Daaz ice cream in just 15 minutes! This recipe is in my cookbook “Seasonal Favorites from The Organic Kitchen: Autumn/ Winter Menus”. The 80 page hardcover and eBook are available here.
If you like to make pie crust, it would be delicious in this recipe. If not, do what I do, use the organic pie crust from Whole Foods Market frozen section! Trader Joe’s has a good one too. Whatever crust you use/buy just be sure it isn’t made with hydrogenated oils (most are).
Helpful hint: Make sure crust is completely thawed before flattening out or it will break. BUT if it does break, all is not lost, you can sort of smush it back together again. No one will know when it’s topped with ice cream and caramelized apples! After pie crust is thawed, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake!
While crust is baking, peel and slice apples. Granny Smith apples work best because they are nice and tart. Looking for a good knife? I love my Wusthof Chef’s knife!
Apples should be soft but not mushy. At first it may seem like there is not enough liquid but as the apples cook and soften the moisture will increase. When apples are soft turn off heat. Cut crust into triangles, top with ice cream then drizzle with warm apples and top with caramelized walnuts or pecans. That’s it!
The Recipe: 15 Minute Apple Pie
15 Minute Apple Pie a la Mode!
Apple pie made on the cooktop in 15 minutes! Serve with ice cream.
- 1 frozen pie crust, thawed and baked
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 green Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling crust
- 2 T melted butter
- Good Quality Ice Cream (I love me some Häagen-Daazs)
- Caramelized Walnuts (click here)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in center of oven
- Lay thawed pie crust on a cookie sheet covered with unbleached parchment paper. Brush pie crust with 2 T melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until crust is slightly golden.
- While crust is baking, peel, core and slice 4 apples. Melt one stick butter in large pan on medium heat. When butter is melted add brown sugar and 2 t cinnamon, stir. Add apple slices to melted sugar and simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally till apples are soft, about 6-8 minutes. When apples are soft turn off heat.
- Cut baked pie crust into 8 triangles and place on dessert plates. Top each crust with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle cooked apples over ice cream. Top with chopped caramelized walnuts and serve immediately. Yum!
Delicious, beautiful, so little work! A perfect dessert for the holidays or anytime.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!