The sauce on these Apricot Sesame Chicken Skewers with Grilled Asparagus is so good people want to drink it. No. Lie.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
The Chicken and the Sauce:
Tender, boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes and skewered, grilled to perfection and then drenched in a fabulous sweet and spicy sauce! The sauce is made with sweet shallots, tangy apricot preserves, ginger, teriyaki, orange juice and spicy red pepper flakes! Yum!
Brushed with olive oil and sea salt, then grilled right alongside the chicken skewers this asparagus is so easy, simple and delicious. I love to serve this chicken and asparagus with my Jeweled Moroccan Couscous….dipping the couscous into the sauce….divine!
The Recipe: Apricot Sesame Chicken Skewers with Grilled Asparagus
Apricot Sesame Chicken Skewers with Grilled Asparagus!
Yield 4 servings
This is a Spiker family favorite! I use organic low sugar apricot preserves, but the sweeter works well too. If you use more than 3 large chicken breasts be sure to make more sauce, people practically drink this stuff!
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 ½” cubes and skewered
- 1 med shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 Cup teriyaki sauce (I prefer the thicker glazes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons apricot preserves
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground ginger
- ¼ tsp- ¾ tsp red pepper flakes (1/4 t for mild,1/2 t for med ¾ t for hot!)
- 2 lbs asparagus, stalks trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cut chicken into cubes and skewer, set aside.
- Pour sesame oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add minced shallot and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add salt, pepper, teriyaki and apricot preserves. Whisk until well blended then add orange juice, ginger and red pepper flakes. Simmer for about five minutes to thicken sauce. Let cool.
- After sauce cools place in a covered dish and put in the fridge if not using right away
- Preheat grill to 375 degrees. Place kabobs on grill and cook for 18- 20 minutes, turning every five minutes.
- While chicken cooks, brush asparagus with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Add to grill with chicken the last 4 minutes of cooking. Turn asparagus once, halfway through cooking time
- Place on platter when done. Remove apricot sauce from fridge and heat in sauce pan, drizzle over cooked kabobs and asparagus and serve.
Courses Main Course