The Chopped Salad with Lentils is substantial, a meal all by it’s lonesome. And I love it. Salads are kind of my thing, as you know if you have read my post “How to Make an Amazing Salad”. I am always looking for something new and interesting to put in a salad, gotta keep it fresh if you want the family to be happy to eat their vegetables. This is the “Chopped Salad with Lentils and Honey Champagne Vinaigrette”…
I use Black Beluga lentils in this recipe, they are the ‘caviar’ of lentils (or so the package says). Lentils are high in protein and fiber and are very filling! They need to be prepped ahead because they need to cook and then cool.
Plain Israeli couscous is fine for this salad but if you happen to live by a Trader Joe’s pick up their Israeli couscous called “Harvest Grain Blend” or have it delivered to your door. the harvest grain blend has baby chick peas, red quinoa and orzo in it so it has a nutty flavor and a bit more of a bite than couscous alone.
Of course we make a homemade dressing for this salad and it literally takes two minutes. This Honey Champagne Vinaigrette and has just the right amount of sweetness for this hardy salad.
We chop our lettuce. Romaine is a leafy green that is very good for you and has a nice crunch to it.
The Recipe: Chopped Salad with Lentils and Honey Champagne Vinaigrette
Chopped Salad with Lentils and Honey Champagne Vinaigrette
Variation: You could add shredded roasted or rotisserie chicken to this recipe.
- Make ahead: I like Black Beluga Lentils for this salad. But you may use whatever kind you prefer. Cook them in water or broth (chicken, veggie, beef, whatever floats your boat) according to package instructions. As soon as lentils are soft place them in a screen colander and strain with cold water so they don’t get mushy.
- ½ cup lentils cooked according to package directions (usually 1 ¼ cup liquid)
- 1 cup Israeli couscous cooked according to package instructions
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roasted salted sunflower seeds or pistachio nuts
- soft goat cheese, crumbled
Honey Champagne Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 pinch sea salt
- few turns freshly ground pepper
- Prepare lentils, when soft place in screen colander and rinse with cold water, set aside. Cook couscous, rinse, drizzle lightly with olive and stir and set aside. Put all dressing ingredients in a small container and whisk. Place chopped romaine, sliced carrots, couscous, lentils, shallots and sunflower seeds on a platter. Toss with dressing, top with desired amount of goat cheese. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Please subscribe and check out my cookbooks here.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Post tags: Vegetarian