Nothing says summer quite like peaches. I eat them fresh on French toast, put them in salads, grill them, and use them in salsas. Peaches are very versatile. One of my favorite ways to utilize this summer fruit is in Fresh Peach Tarts with Shortbread Crust!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
I start with a shortbread cookie crust that takes less than ten minutes to make. This shortbread is light and makes a sturdy crust for the tart. Once the dough is combined, just use your fingers to press into the tart pans, then bake.
The tart pans are non stick and the bottom pops out so you can lift the tart right out of the pan without worrying about breaking the crust! If you would like to make this recipe gluten/grain free I recommend using an amazing flour made from the yucca root. It’s called Otto’s Cassava Flour (affiliate link) and it tastes, behaves and bakes the most like all purpose flour of any gluten/grain free flour I have used.
For these tarts I chose a filling that was both creamy and slightly sweet. I whisk together soft goat cheese and peach preserves for a not too sweet filling that requires no cooking!
Then I top this drool worthy combo with fresh. ripe, juicy peaches. Ripe peaches are slightly soft to the touch with a little ‘give’ when pressed.
The Recipe: Fresh Peach Tarts with Shortbread Crust
What you will need: Non stick 4.75″ tart pans with removable bottoms. To make this recipe gluten/grain free I recommend using Otto’s Cassava Flour. It tastes, behaves and bakes the most like all purpose flour of any gluten/grain free flour I have used. You will also need vanilla paste (I use Neilsen Massey! Get 4oz here, or 36 oz here) You can use extract but I always recommend paste!
Fresh Peach Tarts with Shortbread Crust
- 1¼ sticks butter, room temp
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar (plus more for sprinkling dough)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 4 Tablespoons peach preserves
- 3 ripe peaches
- 3-4 fresh cold ripe peaches, peel and diced
- Mint (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place rack in center of oven.
- Using a hand mixer or bowl mixer, mix butter and sugars in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add salt and water and mix till well incorporated.
- Add flour and mix. At first the dough will crumble and fall apart.
- Remove dough from bowl and set on a cutting board or counter and gently knead with hands until dough forms a ball.
- Take dough in segments and press into tart pans. Start with the bottom and then build up the sides, Dough should be about a ¼” thick all the way around.
- Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of dough.
- Place tins on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle dough with granulated sugar and bake for 25 minutes or until dough is cooked and slightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow cool completely.
Filling and peaches:
- When crust is cool, whisk together goat cheese, vanilla and peach preserves. Peel and dice peaches.
- Spoon filling into crusts . Gently remove crust from tart pans and place on plates. Top with fresh peaches right before serving. Each tart can feed two….unless you want one all to yourself.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!