Few things add more flavor to food than caramelized onions! Whether you use them to toss in pasta, add flavor to beef, top a burger or give pizza a sweet twist they are the perfect flavor booster!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
Of course we start with the onions, red, yellow or white, thinly sliced. Place in a pan and drizzle with olive oil. (Printable recipe below)
Patience is a Virtue:
Caramelizing onions takes patience. You will be tempted to speed the the process along by turning up the heat. All that accomplishes is burning the onions. Allow the onions to cook at medium heat until they begin to brown and reduce in size, this can take 20-25 minutes or so. Stir frequently.
Last But Not Least:
As the liquid in the onions begins to evaporate, the onions will get sweeter and sweeter because the natural sugars in the onions get more and more concentrated. Once the onions have lost about half their volume, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly turned pepper, then drizzle with balsamic glaze.. Balsamic glaze is a reduced balsamic vinegar and has the consistency of a thick syrup. It is the perfect addition to caramelized onions!
Now that you have learned a new skill try caramelized onions on sandwiches, in pastas, on meats, pizzas and flatbreads…just about anything really! I especially love caramelized onions on this tri-tip!
The Recipe: Caramelized Onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions peeled and thinly sliced (my favorite are red)
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Place a large pan on medium/high heat
- Add butter and olive oil
- When hot, add onions
- Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are really going, then turn heat to medium and keep it there as onions reduce
- When onions lose at least half their volume sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste
- When onions are done (usually 25-30 minutes) turn off heat
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze
- Place atop or in whatever recipe you choose!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!