Another casual Friday dinner idea to make your life easier! You are going to love this easy to make salmon topped with pesto, simple side salad and crispy Parmesan bread.
It takes only minutes to make a fresh pesto!
And it’s so much better than store bought!
Spoon it on top of a perfectly seared salmon filet and you have a perfect combination of flavors. Of course our pesto and our salad dressing (below) are made with heart healthy olive oil! We would have it no other way!
O&Co Olive Oil Select from Premium, High Quality Olive Oils from the Mediterranean.
To remove skin from salmon after searing, simply put a fish spatula between the meat of the fish and skin, slide it from one end to the other and left!
The Recipe: Pesto Salmon
Btw my favorite knife is 50% off! Save 50% Off the Wusthof Classic Block Set Now Only $249.96 + Free Shipping at SurLaTable.com! Offer valid for a limited time. (affiliate link)
This crispy salmon dish is easy to prepare and the pesto is great used on sandwiches and pasta. If you have extra, save it in a small jar, drizzle with olive oil and cover in fridge for up to five days.
- Desired amount of 6 oz salmon filets, skin on
- Sea salt
- Ghee, Coconut oil, or butter (enough to coat pan)
Basil Pesto: Makes enough to top 8 pieces of salmon
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup roasted pine nuts (or roasted walnuts)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven.
- Lightly sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Heat oven safe pan on cooktop med/high for three minutes. Add enough ghee, butter or coconut oil to lightly coat the bottom of pan and allow oil to get hot. Carefully place salmon skin side up on pan…you should hear the “pshhhh” sound. Cook for 3-4 minutes till salmon is golden and crispy. Gently turn skin side down and sear for one more minute. Now transfer pan to preheated oven and cook for 10-12 minutes depending on how thick the salmon is. When done, remove from oven. To serve, remove salmon from skin by sliding your spatula between the skin and meat of the salmon (see page…) This should be very easy, the skin will stay in the pan. Place salmon on a plate and top with pesto.
- Pulse garlic in food processor till minced. Add basil leaves, cheese and nuts. Puree in processor, slowly adding olive oil till desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. Place a nice spoonful of pesto on top of each salmon filet and enjoy!
Courses Main course
Our salad is very simple: greens, tomatoes, feta and caramelized nuts with a lemon vinaigrette. Learn to caramelize nuts here. Of course you can always opt for plain nuts.
Simple Greens with Lemon Vinaigrette
This beautiful salad is light and perfect when served with a main dish that has a strong flavor like our Pesto Salmon.
- 1 5 oz. bag baby greens
- 1 large tomato diced
- Caramelized nuts (we used pecans)
- Crumbled Goat cheese
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions (green onions)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch of sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a lidded container and shake! Pour desired amount over greens. Dressing can be saved in the fridge for a week.
- Toss ingredients together on a platter and dress.
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Place all ingredients in a lidded container and shake! Pour desired amount over greens. Toss. Dressing can be saved in the fridge for a week.
Courses Side salad
Last we top this menu off with a crispy Parmesan bread! You can even prepare the butter and herbs a day ahead.
Crispy Parmesan Rosemary Bread
This bread is a quick and tasty side dish. If possible prepare butter mixture a day ahead as the flavors will have time to permeate the butter. But if you fail to plan ahead, no worries, it’s still delicious made the last minute! You can use artisan breads, sourdough, French, whatever floats your boat! I use a multigrain sourdough with sunflower seeds.
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T rosemary finely chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 8 slices of bread
- Combine first three ingredients in a bowl, mix well and cover. Place in fridge overnight. Remove a few hours before use and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Place bread on cookie sheet and spread with butter mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake until cheese is melted and slightly golden. Serve.
If you are loving these fantastic free recipes, please sign up for my weekly newsletter! (upper right in the side bar) Thanks~ Linda Spiker
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
Disclosure: We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated! Also, if you make any purchases using Amazon I would love it if you would use the affiliate links on this page (highlighted in this post or the Amazon banner in right sidebar). Your cost remains the same but I receive a small commission that helps keep this website up and running. Thanks for your support! ~ Linda Spiker