Looking to add more vegetables to your diet? Then this Zucchini Ricotta Torta from Sun Basket Meal delivery is for you! Packed with zucchini and served with mixed greens you will certainly meet your daily requirements of veggies. Full printable recipe below.
This recipe is brought to you by Sun Basket!
What is a ‘Torta’?
In Mexico, torta commonly means “sandwich,” but huevos en torta, a dreamy cross between a frittata and a crustless quiche, is worth getting to know. Sun Basket’s version consists of thin slices of sautéed zucchini, lightly bound in eggs with ricotta and Pecorino Romano. I love it alongside a green salad. Just look at those crispy, cheesy edges! I use this recipe as a main course but it’s also a delicious vegetable side dish.
WHY I LOVE SUN BASKET: Organic, Non GMO, Sustainably Sourced
- Sun Basket saves time~ no going to the store or deciding what to make. Just go online, pick your meals, and everything you need is dropped off at your door!
- It saves money~ Less trips to the store means spending less money. Fact!
- Sun Basket teaches you how to cook healthy meals~Each box comes complete with recipe cards, instructions and photos of the finished recipe.
- Sun Basket broadens your food horizons~ We all get stuck in a food rut using the same recipes, ingredients, herbs and spices over and over. Sun Basket meals are designed by a talented chef and they offer a different menu every week. No more food boredom! But if you love a meal you can always make it again because you have the recipe card.
Get 3 Meals Free from Sun Basket! Fresh organic ingredients and easy recipes delivered, with Paleo, Gluten-free and Vegetarian options.
GET THREE MEALS FREE and Try The New family Plan!
Yes my followers can get 3 Meals Free from Sun Basket! Fresh organic ingredients and easy recipes delivered, with Paleo, Gluten-free and Vegetarian options. If you have a family to feed you can try 3 FREE Family Plan Meals from Sun Basket! Fresh organic, non-GMO ingredients and kid-friendly recipes delivered!
The Recipe: Zucchini Ricotta Torta with Mixed Greens!
- 2 tablespoons butter to prep baking dish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (to prep pan and for salad dressing)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 shallots
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 1½ pounds zucchini
- 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs Fresh thyme
- ¼ cup fresh ricotta
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 1½ ounces almonds
- 3 ounces mixed greens
- Prep the baking dish and vegetables:
- Heat the oven to 375°F
- Butter or oil an loaf pan or loaf pan sized baking dish and sprinkle to coat with half the bread crumbs
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot
- Finely chop the garlic
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini into thin rounds
- Cook the zucchini:
- In a pan, warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the shallot and garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. While the zucchini cooks, start the torta batter
- Prep the torta batter
- Zest and juice the lemon
- Coarsely chop the parsley leaves
- Coarsely chop the thyme leaves
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and lightly beat them
- With a whisk or fork, beat the ricotta, pecorino, lemon zest, parsley, and thyme into the eggs. Fold in the zucchini mixture, and season generously with salt and pepper
- Bake the torta:
- Scrape the torta batter into the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with the remaining bread crumbs Bake until the eggs are set and the top is browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. While the torta bakes, make the mixed greens salad
- Make the salad
- Coarsely chop the almonds
- In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice with 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mixed greens and toss to coat
- Transfer the torta and salad to individual plates. Garnish with the almonds and serve
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!