If you are a fan of my almond milk, you may just love my cashew milk as well. It’s thick, creamy, versatile and a great dairy substitute. Cashew milk is less expensive to make than almond milk and doesn’t require a nut milk bag for straining, so it’s a teensy bit easier to make too. Today I will share recipes for plain, vanilla and chocolate cashew milk.
(This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure at bottom of page)
We Start By Soaking The Cashews:
I know, I know…some of you will mention that because cashews are soft soaking is not required, and you would be correct, but I still soak them because this simple process makes nuts easier to digest. You can soak the cashews for a few hours or overnight in filtered water with a pinch of sea salt.
Then you discard the soaking water and place the cashews and fresh filtered water into a blender and blend until smooth.
That is it. Seriously. You’re done.
No straining is necessary. You have rich creamy cashew milk in two minutes flat! Cashew milk makes a wonderful drink but can also be used as a dairy substitute in recipes, baking, cereal, basically anything you would use milk in. It’s also a healthy creamer substitute in coffee.
Flavoring Your Cashew Milk:
Or Make My favorite….Vanilla!
To liven up plain cashew milk you can add your choice of sweetener and a vanilla paste! (affiliate link). I prefer paste to extract, but both will work.
Fresh homemade nut milks don’t contain emulsifiers and preservatives so they require shaking before use. Store in the fridge, covered, for up to four days.
The Recipe: Cashew Milk~ Plain, Vanilla and Chocolate
Tips and what you will need: How thick your cashew milk is will depend on how much water you add to the blender. This recipe is for CREAMY cashew milk, if you prefer it thinner, just add a bit more water. You will need: a good quality blender. I use a Blendtec and love it. If you have always wanted a Blendtec but it wasn’t in the budget, you may wish to consider a Blendtec Total Blender Certified Refurbished. Click to find stevia drops, vanilla paste and unsweetened 100% cacao! (affiliate links) And if you prefer Almond Milk, click to check out my recipe.
Creamy Cashew Milk, Plain, Vanilla, and Chocolate!
Yield 31 /2 cups
Cashew milk is wonderful as is a drink but can also be used as a dairy substitute in recipes, cereal etc... and as a creamer substitute in coffee. This recipe is for CREAMY cashew milk. If you prefer it thinner just add more water to the blender.
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- pinch sea salt
- pitted dates
- Vanilla paste
- maple syrup
- liquid stevia drops
- unsweetened cacao powder
- Place one cup raw cashews in bowl or jar and cover with several inches of filtered water. Cover container and soak for a few hours or overnight. Discard soaking water and rinse nuts.
- Place 3 cups filtered water into a blender.
- Add soaked cashews to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add 2-3 soft dates (always double check the pits have been removed) or a couple of teaspoons honey or maple syrup to blender and blend till smooth. If using liquid stevia, 2-3 drops is usually fine.
For vanilla cashew milk:
- Add choice of sweetener and 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract (or to taste). Blend or shake.
- If you would like to make some of your cashew milk chocolate flavored add 1/2 tsp vanilla paste or extract and 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder for each cup of cashew milk and blend until smooth.
Courses Nut milk~ Dairy substitute
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!