When I really want a healthy meal that feels like it’s a treat, I go for Baked Sweet Potato Wedges with Chipotle Cashew dip! Whether you eat them alone or alongside a delicious green salad or roasted chicken, you can’t go wrong.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
The Sweet Potatoes:
The sweet potatoes are cut in half lengthwise and then carefully cut into wedges. Don’t go too thick or they will take longer to cook. Drizzle in olive oil, sprinkle liberally with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and pop in the oven until the edges are crisp and browned. The secret to getting those browned edges is a hot oven and placing the pan close to the heating implement!
The Cashew Dip:
This chipotle cashew dip is really easy to make. Simply soak the nuts for a few hours (or overnight) and then place in a food processor with garlic, lime juice, sea salt and chipotle chilis in adobo sauce then process until smooth. Then just dip away! If you have leftover dip you can make this crispy veggies tomorrow!
These baked wedges and dip are grain free, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, Paleo and Whole 30 compliant! So enjoy with no guilt whatsoever, just pick up a wedge and dip! That said, I noticed one brand of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce that contained sugar, so be sure to read the label if you want to stay Whole 30/Paleo compliant.
The Recipe: Easy Baked Sweet Potato Wedges with Chipotle Cashew Dip
Easy Baked Sweet Potato Wedges with Chipotle Cashew Dip
A delicious side dish to roasted chicken or a green salad! I use chipotle chili powder in this recipe to keep it simple but if you prefer more heat use chipotle paste or using actual chipotle chilis in adobo sauce starting with 1/2 a teaspoon and working your way up.
- Allow 3 hours time for soaking cashews
- 2 cups simmering water
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- Olive oil ( 1 Tablespoon for Cashew dip and 2 tablespoons for potatoes)
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2-3 pinches sea salt
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water (start with a 1/4 cup and add more if needed)
- Bring water to simmer in small pan, turn off heat and add raw cashews to pot, allow to sit at least three hours
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place rack in upper third of oven. Cover a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and then cut each half into wedges. You should be able to get 5-6wedges per half
- Place wedges on parchment covered cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Use enough oil that each wedge is glistening with oil, toss
- Sprinkle generously with freshly ground pepper and sea salt, toss
- Place in oven and roast for 40 minutes, turning potatoes halfway through cooking time
- While potatoes cook, make cashew dip:
- Place peeled clove of garlic in food processor and process until minced
- Strain cashews and discard cooking water
- Add soaked cashews, lime juice, sea salt, 1/4 cup water and 1 pepper in adobo sauce (two if you like things really spicy!)
- Process for one minute, if needed add up to another 1/4 cup water for thinning
- When dip is the consistency you want and nice and smooth stop processing, taste and decide if it needs more sea salt or chipotle, then make adjustments accordingly
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven and serve with cashew dip
Courses Side Dish
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!