This Fall Greens with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spicy Pepitas Saald is one of my favorite salads of all time. Deep greens, sweet roasted butternut squash, spicy pepitas and asiago, all drizzled with a maple vinaigrette!
Working With Butternut Squash:
The Recipe: Fall Greens with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spicy Pepitas
Fall Greens with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spicy Pepitas
Roasted Spicy Pepitas:
- 1 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ancho chile or chili powder (where to buy)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (where to buy)
- 1/2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ lb butternut squash peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (I use this knife)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T real maple syrup
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Asiago cheese (shaved using a y peeler so the slices are thin and curved)
- Roasted spicy pepitas (see recipe below)
- Dried cranberries
- 1 med shallot minced
- 2 T balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T cider vinegar (where to buy)
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 3 T maple syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1t sea salt (where to buy)
- 1/2 t pepper
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients and whisk. Dress salad.
Make pepitas ahead:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Place all ingredients together in a bowl, toss and then spread on a cookie sheet. Bake, shaking pan once or twice, until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in upper third of oven. Drizzle prepared butternut squash with oil and real maple syrup and toss with salt and pepper. Place on cookie sheet covered with unbleached parchment paper. Roast for 40-50 minutes or until squash is soft and edges are brown. Allow to cool.
- Tear lettuces into bite size pieces and place on a platter. Add spinach, cooled squash, spicy pumpkin seeds and toss with dressing. Plate and shave Asiago onto each helping. Serve.
I have no doubt you will love this salad as much as I do! ~ Linda Spiker
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.