Nothing says spring and summer like Fresh Fish Tacos! When it comes to warm weather recipes, fresh is the name of the game and these fish tacos are as fresh as they come. They also happen to be full of antioxidants, healthy fats, and protein and are gluten and dairy free.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
I top these tacos with my homemade Pico de Gallo recipe but you can also use your favorite store bought salsa or pico de gallo if you don’t have time to make your own.
These tacos are so fresh and flavorful you will hard pressed to find better in a restaurant!
For me, tacos are all about the tortilla, a lousy tortilla can ruin an otherwise great taco! I always buy my corn tortillas at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Luckily it happens to be right next to Whole Foods market where I buy my fish. These tortillas are handmade daily.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk about buying fish:
1. It’s best not to buy fish wrapped in plastic. You should be able to smell the fish you are buying. I always buy mine from a fishmonger I trust. If he is handling it, cutting it etc… he will know if it’s not fresh.
2. Always buy fish the day you plan on making it.
3. When selecting fish always point to the piece you want. In stores the freshest fish is placed in the front of the window, closest to you, and the fish from the day before is placed in the back, closest to the fishmonger. So when you are looking at the fish closest to you and ask for it, he pulls it from the back. It doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with that fish from the day before, it’s just not the freshest…and you want the freshest!
4. If it’s available to you, use wild caught salmon.
Season the fish with sea salt, freshly ground pepper (affiliate links) and garlic powder, then sauté it in coconut oil, butter or ghee. If you are using two kinds of fish, like me, try to keep them separated in the pan.
Fresh Fish Tacos!
- 12 oz fresh halibut or salmon (or 6 oz of each) cut into 1" cubes
- sea salt (I use Maldons)
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 T coconut oil, ghee or butter
- 1 lime quartered
- handful of cilantro sprigs
- fresh salsa or pico de gallo (recipe below)
- 4 corn tortillas
- Cut fish into 1" cubes, lightly season with sea salt. pepper and garlic powder. Place large pan on cooktop on medium heat. Add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil, butter or ghee. When melted add fish to pan, turning as each side browns. Fish should be done in about 8 minutes.
Cuisine Fresh Mex!
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ of one medium white onion, diced, see how here
- ¼ of one green bell pepper, diced
- ½ -1 tsp serrano chilis finely chopped, see how here
- 2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- sea salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients except Serrano chili. Add chili 1/2 teaspoon at a time, mixing and tasting in between additions. When the heat is right, cover and refrigerate till serving. (I like 1 1/2 tsp)
Cuisine Fresh Mex!
Healthy, delicious and easy, the perfect spring dinner! If you enjoyed this recipe. please subscribe for my FREE weekly recipe newsletter! (just under my picture on the right sidebar)
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!