Instructions for caramelizing nuts can be found on page 12 of “Seasonal Favorites from The Organic Kitchen Cookbook” available in hardcover and eBook here. I also recommend you watch this video tutorial, seeing it done in real time can be very helpful!
So this is how I do it!
The Recipe: Caramelized Nuts
- 3 T butter
- 1 cup nuts
- 1/3 light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Melt butter in pan on medium heat. When butter is melted, add 1 cup nuts. You can use walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, mixed nuts...whatever, but I will say walnuts and pecans work best because they have nooks and crannies that hold the melted sugar.
- Give the nuts a 'flip' to make sure all nuts are glistening with butter. This pan is a non toxic, non stick ceramic pan.
- Shake the nuts back and forth in the pan from front to back. Get a little rhythm going. Then when the nuts are moving forward in the pan (away from you) and they reach that curve in the pan, just give the pan a little ummmph and the nuts will flip. This takes practice and again, I really do recommend you watch this video!
- Once nuts are browned slightly, add sugar. I use 1/3 cup C&H light brown sugar. I find it melts the best. Sorry, but organic brown sugar clumps. I wish I could say it wasn't so! If you are looking for a lower glycemic sugar try coconut sugar. It works very well.
- Flip again. When nuts are evenly coated with melted sugar, remove from heat and place nuts on a plate to cool. If you are using them right away you can pop them in the fridge or freezer for a quick cool down.
- Once cooled, use right away or store in a covered container for up to a month. The recipe for Spicy Caramelized Nuts is on page 62 of my cookbook.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.