The French know how to do food right. They take bread, which is already awesome and make it more awesome buy soaking it in eggs and cooking it in butter. Yes please! I add cottage cheese, berries and real maple syrup because, why not?
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
When it comes to french toast, it’s all about the bread. I use a thick and hearty flaxseed Ciabatta or a nice artisan bread for this recipe. It’s best to use day old bread. Those of you that shy away from Gluten can use Udi’s brand gluten free bread, not quite as good as this bread but what can you do…. (Ps That is a serrated knife. It’s good for cutting bread, citrus and tomatoes)
Let’s talk about syrup and vanilla paste:
Real maple syrup is tapped from trees. I won’t name names but many popular ‘maple syrups’ are really artificially flavored and colored corn syrup (hint: one of them thinks she’s your aunt, the other is married to Mr. Buttersworth and they all live together in a Log Cabin) I always use Neilsen Massey vanilla paste instead of extract… trust me, it’s better than extract! Click here and have it delivered to your door.
Melt a little butter on top and surround with more berries.
The Recipe: The Organic Kitchen French Toast with Berries
My Favorite Breakfast ~ "French Toast with Berries"
- 2 slices hardy whole grain bread sliced 1/2 thick
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoon vanilla almond milk (learn to make my recipe here)
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh berries
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- 2 Tablespoons organic cottage cheese
- 1 pat butter to top, and more for pan
- Whisk together egg, vanilla and almond milk and, set aside.
- Whisk together vanilla and maple syrup
- Heat pan on medium heat till hot, add butter to pan.
- When pan is hot and butter is melted, dip bread in egg/almond milk mixture and set in pan.
- Cook for about three minutes, till golden brown and then turn and cook other side till golden.
- One word of advice... don't burn it. You can't put a price on the kind of wisdom I share people.
- Spoon organic cottage cheese on one slice of French toast and top with berries.
- Then place second slice of bread on top of that and drizzle with the syrup/vanilla paste mixture
- Top with a pat of butter, serve
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!