I was out to lunch with a friend recently and we were served Orange Pomegranate Butter with Biscuits! They were downright heavenly and I came straight home to make my own version. This butter is sweet with a hint of honey and orange zest and tastes like a delicious dream on warm flakey biscuits straight out the oven. Just perfect of for the holidays!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
Pastured Butter: It’s The Way to GO
When a recipe has so few ingredients, those ingredients should be top quality. I use butter made from the cream of grass fed cows, fresh orange zest, honey and just seeded pomegranates!
Learn to Seed a Pomegranate the Easy Way:
Using fresh pom seeds in recipes doesn’t need to be a time consuming mess. In fact you can seed a pomegranate in two minutes flat. See my tutorial here.
How To Zest Citrus:
I use a tool called a microplane to zest citrus. Just lightly scrape the skin until the white is exposed, then move to a new area. The orange part of the skin is full of essential oils that smell and taste heavenly!
The Buttermilk Biscuits:
The photos below are for my Chive Parmesan Biscuits but the process is exactly the same for this recipe. This dough comes together really easily, then I form it into a flat disk and use a jar or cookie cutter to cut biscuits.
Bake and when those biscuits are soft and warm top them with orange pomegranate butter for a lovely holiday side dish or breakfast!
The Recipe: Orange Pomegranate Butter and Buttermilk Biscuits
Orange Pomegranate Butter and Buttermilk Biscuits!
Orange Pomegranate Butter
- 1/2 stick butter (room temp)
- zest of half a small orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk
Orange Pomegranate Butter:
- Place soft butter in a bowl. Use a fork to blend in orange zest and honey. Add pomegranate seeds and stir. Leave soft, or put in the fridge for later use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Set oven rack in center position.
- Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and set aside.
- Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add cut butter. Use your fingertips to pinch butter into dry ingredients until it looks like course meal.
- Make a well in the center and pour buttermilk into well. Stir and then use hands to mix until dough is formed. Dough will be very sticky (grain free won't be as sticky)
- Form into a ball.
- Sprinkle counter with flour and set dough on counter. Use hands to form into a 1" thick flat round disk.
- Cut into circles. I use the top of a mason jar but you can use a round cookie cutter.
- Fold leftover dough and form into a 1" thick flat round disk again. Cut dough. Repeat till all dough is gone.
- Place dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter from grass fed cows or Orange Pomegranate Butter
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!