A picture is worth a thousand words…but in this case perhaps more. This is The Organic Kitchen’s “Berries in a Pastry Basket”! It’s one of the most popular desserts I teach in my cooking classes here at The Organic Kitchen. It looks like a lot of work, but it isn’t because we use pre-made organic fillo dough to make our baskets.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
This dessert is gorgeous. I serve it at summer parties, baby and wedding showers and during the holidays, or any time at all!
1. Place a few sheets fillo on counter and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with sugar. Fillo dough can be found in the frozen section of most super markets. I buy my organic brand at Whole Food’s Market. Fillo dough is very thin, like sheets of paper. Traditionally you layer one sheet of fillo dough at a time, then brush (affiliate link) with butter, repeating many times. But here at the OK we make it easy by using three sheets at a time, repeating the steps only once. I really slather on that butter!
2. Cut pastry baskets and tuck them into a cupcake tin (affiliate link). The beauty of these delicate little baskets is that they don’t have to be perfect!
3. Prep berries, drizzle with lemon juice and powdered sugar and sprinkle with zest.
4. Make vanilla paste whipped cream…. yum. We make our whipped cream using Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste (affiliate link) It is a paste instead of an extract, so it doesn’t have that alcohol aftertaste and tastes great straight out of the bottle! The paste also has vanilla bean flecks that make the cream even more beautiful.
See those lovely little flecks of vanilla bean?
Pretty simple isn’t it?
The Recipe: Berries in a Pastry Basket
Berries in a Pastry Basket!
Yield 8 servings
This dessert looks like a big deal but is actually very easy. Serve with whipped cream, recipe below
- 6 sheets frozen Fillo dough, thawed
- granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted (maybe...brush on and see how it goes)
Berries with Zest:
- 3 cups fresh berries, in any combination you like
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- Put sliced berries in bowl, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with sugar and stir. If using stevia drops, whisk lemon juice and stevia together then drizzle over berries. Add orange zest to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 and place oven rack in lower third of oven
- Thaw Fillo according to package instructions. Take 2-3 sheets of dough and set them on your counter. Brush the top sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place several more sheets of dough on top of the dough you just prepared and brush the top sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Cut dough into 5 inch squares, tuck into metal cupcake tins and bake at 350 or until dough is crispy and edges are brown. Fill with berries, top with cream!
Berries with Zest:
- Put sliced berries in bowl, drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with sugar and stir. Add orange zest to taste.
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
Whipped Cream with Vanilla Paste
Yield 8 servings
The best whipped cream ever!
- ½ pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (or 6 drops Stevia extract)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste (or 1 tsp extract...but trust me on the paste people!)
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and use a hand mixer or wire whisk to beat till desired consistency.
- Just before serving, spoon berries into pasty baskets and top with cream.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
Post tags: desserts, dessert, vegetarian, dairy free option