Making Indian food at home can seem intimidating. Even though I am an experienced cook, I have always felt too intimidated to try it, until now. Sun Basket makes it do-able and easy with this family style Tandoori-Style Curried Lemon Chicken with Mango Cashew Rice!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales while your price stays the same)
WHY DO I RECOMMEND SUN BASKET?
Easy, Delicious Recipes
- Sun Basket meals are delicious! You choose 3 recipes for 2 or 4 people at $11.49 per meal
Customize with Paleo, Gluten–Free, and Vegetarian options. Most recipes take about 30 minutes to prepare.
Certified Organic, Non GMO and Sustainably Sourced
Just how I like it! Ingredients are seasonal (better for you and the planet) and pre–measured – less hassle, less waste!
Skip the grocery store and discover new products and flavors that are hard to find on your own. Plus you become a better cook and expand your food horizons!
- Sun Basket delivers weekly to your door. Ingredients are shipped in an insulated box so they stay fresh. Recyclable and reusable packaging materials are used.
Get $35 off Lean & Clean meals from Sun Basket!
GET 50% OFF FAMILY MENUS ON YOUR FIRST ORDER!
If you are cooking for a crew, I have great news! My followers receive 50% off Family Meals on their first order from Sun Basket! Fresh organic and sustainable ingredients and kid-friendly recipes delivered!
Let’s Talk About This Chicken!
Tandoori chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices making it very tender. This recipe offers you two choices, coating the chicken and cooking immediately or coating the chicken and marinating overnight. You choose what works best for you. Either way you end up with a stunning meal!
The Mango Rice:
This mango cashew rice is the perfect side dish for flavorful Tandoori chicken and it’s easy to make. While chicken bakes and rice cooks you simply dice mango, prepare mint and cilantro and garnish! This meal certainly couldn’t be any prettier and it’s gluten free!
Tandoori-Style Curried Lemon Chicken with Mango Cashew Rice!
Yield 4 servings
This family favorite, inspired by India's tandoor cooking method, features mango, fresh mint, edamame, and roasted cashews. Chef's tip: The chicken can be coated in the yogurt mixture, covered, and marinated overnight in the refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking. This meal is gluten free.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound total)
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 mango
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup shelled edamame
- ⅓ cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup fried shallots
Wash produce before use
1.Cook the rice:
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Rinse the rice.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
In a medium sauce pot, combine the rice, ginger, and 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken.
2. Prep and cook the chicken:
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the chicken and the rice).
In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, curry powder, sesame oil, sesame seeds, lemon zest, and half the lemon juice. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Line a sheet pan with foil and brush the foil lightly with oil. Place the chicken on the prepared pan. Roast, turning once halfway through, until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes. While the chicken roasts and rests, finish the rice.
3. Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the rice
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh into two halves away from the pit. Cut the halves lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
In another large bowl, combine the rice, mango, mint, edamame, cashews, fried shallots, 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining lemon juice and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and rice to individual plates. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the ginger.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip and tear the mint.
- Toss together the mango-cashew rice.