This Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is dreamy if I do say so myself! Isn’t it beautiful? This pretty pink confection is delicious and perfect for the family or any celebration.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
Made from scratch with the best ingredients, this double layer cake has a beautiful texture. The cake itself is slightly sweet and super moist (thanks to the buttermilk) and when frosted with the strawberry buttercream, it is perfection!
The Strawberry Buttercream and How to Frost a Semi Naked Cake:
A blend of grass fed butter, fresh berries, and organic sugar this Strawberry Buttercream is easy to make and naturally pink. No need for artificial flavors or colors! This is a ‘semi naked cake’ meaning the frosting is light on the sides leaving the cake somewhat exposed. To get this look I frost the first layer lightly, adding a little more frosting around the edges. Then I place the second layer, frost the top somewhat generously and use what is left to lightly frost the sides, scraping off extra frosting.
I don’t do fancy cakes. I don’t swirl and flute etc…frankly, I am just too lazy. I prefer to decorate cakes with flowers or berries and call it a day. In this case I placed whole and cut strawberries, blueberries, and mint leaves on 1/3 of the cake. Simple, but lovely!
The Recipe: Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting!
Tips and what you need: all ingredients should be room temperature before making. You will need two two 9 inch cake pans and a stand mixer or hand mixer. I love my Kitchen Aid Mixer ! When it comes to vanilla I always prefer using vanilla paste.
Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Yield 10 pieces
Made from scratch with the best ingredients, this double layer cake has a beautiful texture. The cake itself is slightly sweet and super moist (thanks to the buttermilk!) and when frosted with the strawberry buttercream, it is perfection!
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) room temp (plus 1 tablespoon for preparing pans)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or baking oil of your choice)
- 1⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon extract
- 6 eggs, room temp
- 1⅓ cup cultured buttermilk
1 stick butter (1/2 cup) room temp and soft
1/4 cup strawberry puree (usually 3-5 strawberries depending on size)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
tiny pinch of sea salt
For decorations if desired: blueberries, 3-4 strawberries, 3 mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in center position
- Use a paper towel to wipe the bottom and sides of non stick pans with butter. Lightly coat with flour. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside
- Place butter, coconut oil (or other baking oil), sugar and vanilla in mixer and mix until well combined
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions
- Alternate adding flour mixture with buttermilk until well combined, mix for one more minute
- Pour equal amounts of batter into prepared pans, tap pans firmly on counter to take out any bubbles
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
- Allow cakes to cool, gently remove cakes from pans and then frost
- Cut up strawberries, place in a large bowl (or bowl of stand mixer) add lemon juice and smash with a fork (you could also use a blender)
- Add butter to bowl and mix on medium speed for 1 minute
- Add a tiny pinch of sea salt and 3 cups powdered sugar into a bowl and mix well
- If frosting is not quite thick enough add more sugar, If it's too thick add just a little more lime juice. When frosting is desired consistency, frost cooled cake.
- To get the "semi naked" look, I frost the first layer lightly, adding a little more frosting around the edges of cake. Then I place the second cake layer, frost the top somewhat generously and use what is left to lightly frost the sides, scraping off extra frosting.
- Top with your choice of decoration and serve