Another healthy, easy meal brought to you by Sun Basket! These Herbed Chicken Breasts with Asparagus and Mustard Vinaigrette are simple, lovely and easy to make, plus this recipe is paleo, Whole30 and Keto compliant!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
WHAT’S NEW WITH SUN BASKET IN 2018?
New year, new menus! Sun Basket kicked off 2018 with a few fabulous changes that offer more ways to have your Sun Basket, your way. But of course they still have your favorite traditional, Paleo, and Gluten free options available too!
- NEW: More recipes: Now, Sun Basket is serving up 18 recipes to choose from every week! Never get bored with eating clean.
- NEW: Introducing 3 new meal plans:
- Vegan: Going plant-based has never been easier. Enjoy creative meatless recipes with seasonal organic produce, plant-based proteins, and our house-made signature sauces.
- Pescatarian: Perfect for those who want to eat a plant-focused diet with a healthy dose of wild-caught seafood. We only use seafood listed as Best Choice or Good Alternative by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program.
- Mediterranean: Modeled after one of the world’s healthiest diets, with seasonal produce, lean meat & wild-caught seafood paired alongside whole grains, healthy fats, and fresh herbs.
- Choose from 18 healthy & delicious recipes a week from Sun Basket! Save $45 if you order today!
Let’s Talk About This Meal!
A beautiful Mediterranean inspired meal! Eggs with just-set whites and runny, golden yolks create a perfect sauce for this simple and elegant Paleo, Whole 30 and Keto friendly asparagus and herbed chicken dinner.
The Recipe: Herbed Chicken Breasts with Asparagus and Mustard Vinaigrette
Note for Whole 30 friends: be sure to use a wine free mustard.
A delicious, easy to make Mediterranean inspired meal made in about 30 minutes!
- 2 large pasture-raised organic eggs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 2 boneless skin-on chicken breasts about 6 ounces each
- 4-5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 sprigs organic fresh thyme
- 10 ounces organic asparagus
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
Wash produce before use
Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for exactly 5 minutes for runny yolks (for firmer yolks, cook 1 to 4 minutes longer). Transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the eggs. While the eggs cook, prepare the chicken.
Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
Strip enough thyme leaves from the stems to measure ½ teaspoon. Save any remaining thyme for another use.
In a small bowl, stir together the parsley, thyme, and 1tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Rub the chicken all over with the herb mixture.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn and cook until the meat is firm and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While the chicken cooks, prepare the asparagus and scallions.
Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus.
Trim the root ends from the scallions.
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the asparagus and scallions in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning occasionally, until the asparagus and scallions are crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a plate and the scallions to a cutting board. Add more oil between batches if needed. Let the scallions cool slightly, then thinly slice. While the asparagus and scallions cook, prepare the mustard vinaigrette and almonds.
Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish. (Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.)
Coarsely chop the almonds for garnish.
In a small bowl, stir together the mustard, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and asparagus to individual plates. Carefully cut the eggs in half crosswise over the asparagus. Drizzle with the mustard vinaigrette, garnish with the scallions and almonds, and serve with the lemon wedges.
Peel the eggs.
Strip the parsley and thyme leaves.
Snap the ends off the asparagus.
Juice the lemon.
Stir the vinaigrette.