Pasta, I love it! Especially when it’s tossed with loads of fresh vegetables and flavorful herbs and spices. And pasta doesn’t get any prettier than this Penne with Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas and Tomatoes from Sun Basket!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission from sales but your price remains the same.)
Me and Sun Basket….we got a thing going on….
If you aren’t familiar, Sun basket is a meal delivery service that brings fresh, organic ingredients right to your porch, and this is why I love it:
- Sun Basket saves time~ no going to the store or deciding what to make. Just go online, pick your meals, and everything you need is dropped off at your door!
- It saves money~ Less trips to the store means spending less money. Fact!
- Sun Basket teaches you how to cook healthy meals~Each box comes complete with recipe cards, instructions and photos of the finished recipe.
- Sun Basket broadens your food horizons~ We all get stuck in a food rut using the same recipes, ingredients, herbs and spices over and over. Sun Basket meals are designed by a talented chef and they offer a different menu every week. No more food boredom! But if you love a meal you can always make it again because you have the recipe card.
Get 3 Meals Free from Sun Basket! Fresh organic ingredients and easy recipes delivered, with Paleo, Gluten-free and Vegetarian options.
GET THREE MEALS FREE AND TRY THE NEW FAMILY PLAN!
Yes my followers can get 3 Meals Free from Sun Basket! Fresh organic ingredients and easy recipes delivered, with Paleo, Gluten-free and Vegetarian options. If you have a family to feed you can try 3 FREE Family Plan Meals from Sun Basket! Fresh organic, non-GMO ingredients and kid-friendly recipes delivered!
About This Dish:
Al dente Penne pasta tossed with protein packed Moroccan spiced chickpeas, fresh arugula, tomatoes, feta cheese, and Marcona almonds: easy, simple clean eating! And the flavors in this pasta are amazing thanks to traditional Moroccan spices. One of the things I love most about Sun Basket is being introduced to spices and flavor combinations I wouldn’t ordinarily be familiar with. For example in this recipe we use Ras el hanout, a legendary Moroccan spice blend; meaning “top of the shop,” it traditionally contains a spice merchant’s best goods. Here it subtly perfumes this nourishing summery pasta dish. And the Marcona almonds lend a hint of rosemary and sea salt. perfection!
The Recipe: Penne with Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas and Tomatoes (gluten free option)
Tips and what you will need: This recipe makes two generous portions. Of course you can double (or triple) the recipe if you are cooking for more. To save time, prepare veggies and herbs while pasta water heats. You will need the Moroccan Spice blend Ras el hanout. If it’s not in the spice aisle of your grocery store you can have it delivered to your door. Marcona almonds are drizzled in olive oil, sea salt and rosemary and can be found at most grocery stores, but again they can be delivered to your door. Gluten free friends, sub with your favorite GF pasta.
Al dente Penne pasta tossed with protein-packed Moroccan spiced chickpeas, fresh arugula and tomatoes, feta cheese, and Marcona almonds: easy, simple clean eating! Ras el hanout is a legendary Moroccan spice blend; meaning “top of the shop,” it traditionally contains a spice merchant’s best stuff. Here it subtly perfumes this nourishing summery pasta dish.
- 5 ounces penne pasta about 2 cups gluten free friends use your favorite brand of pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 5 ounces chickpeas about 1/2 a cup
- 1 to 2 shallots peeled and sliced
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes about 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill roughly chopped
- 2 ounces Marcona almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ras el hanout a Moraccan spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 ounces baby arugula 2 large handfuls
- 2 ounces feta 1/3 cup
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until just tender but al dente (usually instructions on package are right on) Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water. Transfer the penne to a bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, and toss to coat.
Rinse the chickpeas
Peel and thinly slice the shallot
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half
Coarsely chop the dill
Coarsely chop the almonds
In a pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chickpeas and shallot. Season with salt and cook, stirring a few times, until the chickpeas are toasted and the shallots are slightly caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the ras el hanout and garlic powder, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the penne and reserved pasta water. Stir in the cherry tomatoes, dill, arugula, feta, and sherry vinegar. Cook until the arugula is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the penne to individual bowls. Dollop with the yogurt, garnish with the almonds, and serve.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!