I love this very unique, very simple salad! This is the Baby Kale Chicken Salad with Crispy Sweet Potatoes. Lovely isn’t it? And it makes a fabulous lunch or casual dinner.
Get 3 Meals Free from Sun Basket! Fresh organic ingredients and easy recipes delivered, with Paleo, Gluten-free and Vegetarian options.
This recipe is Whole 30 and Paleo compliant and if you are on either of these eating plans you should have plenty of roasted chicken around. If not, you can use an organic store bought rotisserie chicken.
Our dressing is a Chipotle White Balsamic Dressing that gives this little salad a bit of a kick!
Chipotle powder can be found on the spice aisle of almost every grocery store. If you can’t find it you can have it delivered to your door. I love Prelibato White Balsamic. I recommend the splurge, it simply the best. If it is sold out (it often is) this one is good too. Please trust me, don’t go cheap on the white Balsamic vinegar.
The chipotle powder gives the dressing a dark smokey look.
The crispy sweet potatoes, cooked in clarified butter, provide that fabulous crunch that is so often missing in Paleo/Whole 30 recipes. Yum!
And if you want to really want to add a little wow factor you could always set a perfectly poached egg on top (
The Recipe: Baby Kale Chicken with Crispy Sweet Potatoes
Baby Kale Chicken Salad with Crispy Sweet Potatoes
If you would like, you can add a couple of avocado slices to this salad.
- 1 small sweet potato, grated
- 2 Tablespoons butter, clarified butter or ghee (Whole 30 use Clarified butter or ghee)
- 4 cups baby kale (or your favorite greens)
- 2-3 cups roasted or rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 1/4 cup roasted salted sunflower seeds
- one poached egg per salad (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons white balsamic
- juice of half a small lemon
- pinch of sea salt
- a few turns of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Peel sweet potato and grate using a food processor or large holes on a cheese grater. Place a non stick pan on high heat and add butter, clarified butter or ghee, allow to melt.
- As soon as pan and fat are hot add shredded potatoes. Use a spatula to stir, scraping potatoes off pan if they get stuck.
- Cook until edges of sweet potatoes are browned 5-6 minutes, turning heat down to low when needed. When potato edges are brown and potatoes are cooked, turn off heat.
- Sprinkle with a small pinch of sea salt and a couple turns of fresh black pepper. Stir and set aside.
- The sweet potatoes will get crispier as they begin to cool.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk.
- Lightly dress greens. Place one cup of baby kale on four plates, top with chicken, then sweet potatoes, then sunflower seeds. You may want to drizzle a little more dressing over the top. If adding a poached egg, add now.
Courses lunch or dinner
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
All photos and recipes are copyrighted by Linda Spiker.
Post tags: Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, paleo, whole 30