My sister and niece gave me striped lasagna noodles as a gift. I thought they were so beautiful they warranted a blog post all their own. This pasta is called “Lasagna Plaid” and it’s colored with natural colorings from beet root, spinach, and bell peppers. I thought the colorful stripes were perfect for a spring lasagna.
You can find several choices of colorful pasta here. (affiliate links)
I am a big fan of lasagna, but with the pastel colors in this pasta I decided a traditional lasagna wouldn’t do. So I chose to make lasagna rolls instead and stuff them with three cheeses, spinach and chicken.
Not only is this recipe lovely, it’s amazingly easy to make as well. All you do is mix the stuffing…
…spread onto cooked noodles…
…then place seam side down in a baking dish of your choice. I used a Corningware Pie Plate (affiliate link) because I think it looks pretty but any baking dish will do.
Just nestle the rolls right in. And cover in sauce.
I thought Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce (affiliate link) with it’s slight sweetness and orange color would work perfectly for this spring dish, but a classic tomato sauce would also work well.
Top sauce with freshly grated Parmesan and pop in the oven for 40 minutes and you have a delicious, warm, pasta dish the family will love.
The Recipe: Lasagna Rolls with Chicken and Butternut Squash Sauce
- 15oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- ¾ fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1¼ cup cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked to package instructions You will use 8, but cook more in case they break)
- 1½ cups butternut squash pasta sauce
- ¼ Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat over to 375 and place rack in center of oven.
- Cook noodles to package instructions.
- Place ricotta, mozzarella, and a ½ cup Parmesan cheese (reserving the rest for later) in a bowl. Add egg, garlic, salt, pepper, chicken and spinach and mix till well blended.
- Pour ½ cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Lay noodles on a cutting board and spoon cheese mixture onto noodles leaving a little room on the top, bottom and each side.
- Roll noodles and place seam side down into baking dish.
- When all noodles are stuffed and in dish, cover with one cup sauce and extra Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Such a delightful and unique dish! Serve with this colorful salad and you have a complete easy menu!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.