I feel I must disclose that when I was working on this dessert I gained 3 pounds. I made hot chocolate everyday for a month. I combined milk with cream, milk with half and half, and half and half with cream. I used different combinations of light and dark chocolates, and then had to decide exactly how much vanilla paste and cinnamon to use! I finally found what I think is the perfect combination.
Behold, comfort food at it’s finest! The Organic Kitchen Spiced Hot Chocolate made the old fashioned way, on the cooktop with real chocolate and real cream. No powdery mix and boiling water here. So get out your cutest mugs and pull out your snuggliest blankets and enjoy this family favorite.
Dishes in this post are from my favorite store Anthropologie !
The Recipe: Spiced Hot Chocolate with Vanilla Whipped Cream
You will need: Vanilla paste available in 4oz and quart size (I recommend getting the quart, saves lot’s of money in the long run!) affiliate link
- Hot Chocolate:
- 3 cups 2% milk (my raw milk drinking friends...knock yourselves out! It will be really rich but you are used to that!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup Bittersweet Chocolate chips (60% cacao)
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 small pinch sea salt
- Vanilla Whipped Cream:
- ½ pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (or liquid stevia drops to taste)
- Hot Chocolate:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized pot on medium heat. Stir with a whisk till chocolate is melted and all ingredients are blended well. When milk/cream mixture is steaming remove from heat. Pour into mugs and top with vanilla whipped cream.
- Whipping Cream:
- Place cream in large bowl and whisk by hand or use mixer till cream is slightly thick. Add vanilla and sugar. Continue beating till desired consistency.
We always use Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste in place of extract. It doesn’t have that strong alcohol flavor and tastes great straight out of the bottle. If you use vanilla frequently it’s a much better deal to buy the quart!
This recipe and many more can be found in my cookbooks! Please subscribe and leave a comment or question. I love to hear from you…as long as you praise my recipes
~ Linda Spiker
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.