I love a good grass fed chuck roast cooked in a slow cooker with carrots, shallots and Herbs de Provence. This has become a Sunday favorite because I can prep the meal in the morning, come home from church, take a Sunday nap and wake up to a cooked dinner!
(This post contains affiliate links, see full disclosure below)
I like to make this recipe with real baby carrots. Don’t fall for those fake baby carrots at the grocery store that look like a stumpy thumb. Those are actually full size carrots that are deemed unfit to sell as is. So they are placed in a tumbler and ground down to those little stubs and then falsely labeled ‘baby’ carrots.
Real baby carrots are just that! Young carrots, pulled from the soil while still tender. If you can’t find real baby carrots use regular carrots.
YOU MAY BE WONDERING “WHY GRASS FED?”
I know beef companies proudly tout “corn fed” like it’s a good thing, but it’s not. Corn is not a cow’s natural food, grass is. Corn and other grains make cows sick and when they get sick they are pumped with antibiotics, which are passed right along to you. In fact, conventional grain-fed beef is twice as likely to contain dangerous bacteria resistant to antibiotics than grass fed beef. No bueno.
Grass fed cows make superior meat too. Yep, it tastes better and is better for you. The meat from grass fed cows is higher in the healthy omega 3 fats and lower in the inflammation causing omega 6 fats. And it’s nice to know these cows live a better life than those that live in overcrowded feedlots.
ButcherBox delivers grass fed beef right to your doorstep!
I generously season the roast with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and Herbs de Provence (a combination of savory, thyme, rosemary, fennel and lavender.)
I brown my roast in a cast iron pan (like this) before placing it in the crock pot.
The Recipe: Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Shallots and Baby Carrots
You will need: sea salt (I use this one), Herbs de Provence, coconut oil, a cast iron pan and a slow cooker. Of course homemade broth is always better! (affiliate links)
Variation: Leave out baby carrots and make roasted carrots instead, or these roasted root veggies!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Shallots and Baby Carrots
A beautiful savory roast. If crock pot carrots aren't your jam, leave them out and roast carrots in oven separately. Links above.
- 1- 3 lb Chuck Roast
- 14 baby carrots, peeled (or five large carrots cut into thirds)
- 8 shallots, peeled
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper (I love a battery operated grinder so I have one hand free to handle the roast)
- Herbs de Provence
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional but gives a richer flavor)
- butter, ghee or coconut oil
- Generously season roast with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs de Provence. Heat a cast iron pan on med/high heat. When pan is hot add enough butter, ghee or coconut oil to lightly coat the bottom on the pan. Place roast in pan and brown the first side, turn over and brown the second side (usually about 4-5 minutes a side) then place meat in slow cooker, add broth and wine. Add shallots and carrots to crock pot, sprinkle with sea salt, freshly ground pepper and herbs de Provence. Place lid on crock pot and cook either 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Carve beef against the grain and serve.
Courses Main Course
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!