The Harvest Salad: It’s Autumn…in a bowl.
Fall greens, sweet red apples, minced shallots, roasted pecans, tangy dried cranberries and apricots, chicken (optional) and Israeli couscous drizzled with an apple vinaigrette.(This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure at bottom of page)
A Complete Meal Salad:
This colorful salad is a complete meal with greens, grains, protein, and healthy fats and it can be made start to finish in under 20 minutes.
The Israeli Couscous:
Israeli couscous is a simple pearl pasta. It can be found in almost any grocery store or you can have it delivered to your door. But sometimes I make this salad using Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain Couscous Blend. It is pearl pasta with some red quinoa, baby garbanzo beans and orzo. It gives the salad a little more texture and nuttiness!
This Salad is Ready for It’s Close Up…
This is one pretty salad!
The Final Touch: The Apple Vinaigrette
Such a lovely salad deserves nothing less than an spectacular dressing. And this apple vinaigrette is just that! Apple juice, extra virgin olive oil, honey, a hint of dijon and white balsamic combine to make the perfect flavor combination for this sweet and savory salad.
The Recipe: The Harvest Salad: Greens, Couscous, Fall Fruit and Apple Vinaigrette
Tips and what you will need: Israeli couscous is a simple pearl pasta. It can be found in almost any grocery store or you can have it delivered to your door. If you prefer you can also use Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain Couscous Blend. It is pearl pasta with some red quinoa, baby garbanzo beans and orzo. It gives the salad a little more texture and nuttiness!
- The Apple Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons frozen organic apple juice concentrate (reseal with plastic and a rubber band and place back in freezer for use next time!)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- The Couscous:
- ½ cup Israeli Couscous or TJ's Harvest Couscous Blend (linked above) cooked to package instructions
- The Salad:
- 5 oz bag of mixed baby greens
- 2 cups leftover rotisserie or roasted chicken, diced small
- 1 small red apple, diced
- 1 small shallot, diced (small)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries,
- ¼ cup dried apricots, diced (small)
- ¼ cup roasted pecan halves, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Make apple vinaigrette by placing all ingredients in a bowl and whisking until emulsified. Set aside.
- Cook couscous to package instructions.
- While couscous cooks dice apple, chicken and apricots, chop pecans, mint, shallot and parsley.
- When couscous is ready, pour into a colander and rinse with cold water. Place couscous in a large bowl, add nuts, apples, dried fruit, shallots, parsley and mint to bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Pour some salad dressing over couscous and toss.
- Place greens on a platter. Dress lightly with apple vinaigrette, toss. Pour couscous and chicken mixture over greens and toss. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!