Grilling season is in full swing and these simple Lime Chili Chicken Skewers are the perfect main course for any backyard BBQ or tailgate party. And they are Paleo, Keto and Whole30 Compliant.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
Marinated in olive oil, lime juice and various spices these skewers are moist and flavorful. You can leave the meat marinating for as little as an hour or as long as 24, which means you can prep them a day ahead or the morning of, head to work and they are ready to pop on the grill when you get home! Just remember, when it comes to marinating, generally longer is better.
The key to successful grilling is a little prep and some high heat. Make sure the grill is clean and sprayed with an organic grill spray before turning it on. Then turn the grill to high heat and turn down if needed as the chicken cooks. When meat comes in contact with a hot grill, it contracts, which is a good thing because that means less sticking.
The Recipe: Lime Chili Chicken Skewers
These simple marinated Lime Chili Chicken Skewers are the perfect main course for any backyard BBQ or tailgate party! And they are Paleo, Keto and Whole30 Compliant.
- Remember when it comes to marinating, longer is better. This chicken can be marinated 1-24 hours. I usually prep it a day ahead, or the morning I plan to serve it.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp=mild, 1/2 tsp=med, use as much as you want for hot!)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, or a combination of the two, cut into 1 1/2" chunks (I am going to push for dark meat here. It's so much more moist than breasts...trust me:)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro
- your choice of small green or red hot chili pepper sliced, or red pepper flakes
- lime wedges for squeezing over chicken
Whisk all ingredients together and set aside
Cut chicken into cubes and place in a covered container. Pour marinade over chicken and refrigerate for 1-24 hours (the longer the better) Turn meat halfway through marinating time to make sure all chicken is coated in marinade.
Remove chicken from marinade and place on four skewers, sprinkle generously with sea salt and pepper to taste
Spray clean grill with organic non stick spray and preheat grill to 425 degrees
When grill is hot, add skewers. Close lid and cook for 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear, turning halfway through cooking time (if your chicken is cut into bigger chunks, allow more time)
Remove, and garnish with cilantro and peppers if desired
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!