I love a creamy warm dessert served right out of the oven! This confection is flavored with vanilla, drizzled with cream sauce and loaded with blueberries. Behold The Organic Kitchen’s take on traditional bread pudding “Heavenly Blueberry Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Sauce”.
My recipe is stripped down and simplified but just as delicious as recipes that require more ingredients and more effort.
I use coconut sugar in this recipe. Coconut sugar (affiliate link) is an alternative to refined white sugar. It is made from the sap of cut flower buds of the coconut palm. Coconut sugar is lower on the glycemic index than refined white sugar and unlike traditional sugar it contains calcium, potassium, zinc and iron! If you choose to use regular sugar your dessert will be delicious but won’t be caramel colored like mine. And for those of you with an aversion to coconut (ahem…my husband) no worries about the taste it doesn’t taste like coconut, it tastes like sugar.
Choose a nice Italian or French artisan loaf and let it get a teensy bit stale. Just like French toast, bread pudding is best when made with day old bread.
There are very few ingredients in this recipe so make sure you use the best! I always bake with Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste instead of extract. I never even measure this stuff because you can’t overdo it! I just pour a dollop in and try to resist the temptation to pour some directly in my mouth.
…then begin a simple vanilla cream sauce…
Heavenly…hence, the name!
Recipe: Heavenly Blueberry Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Sauce
You will need: a 7x11x2 baking dish four –12 ounce ramekins (these are very large, if you use smaller ramekins you will need to adjust cooking time). I always use vanilla paste instead of extract. It’s just my preference. Give it a try!
Heavenly Blueberry Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Sauce
Yield 4 -8
A warm heavenly dessert! NOTE: If you are using a baking dish instead of ramekins see notes below on adjusting baking time.
- 5 cups Italian or French Bread, cut into 1" cubes (best if day old)
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste (I use this)
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed (if out of season use frozen)
Vanilla Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar (again I use coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter bottom and sides of four 12 to 14 oz ramekins or one 13x7x2 glass baking dish. Place rack in center of oven.
- In a large bowl whisk cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla paste till well combined.
- Add day old bread cubes, mix well.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Let sit for 10 minutes so bread absorbs liquid.
- Separate evenly into ramekins or pour all into single baking baking dish.
- Dust with a little more sugar if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set. (If using a single baking dish instead of ramekins it may take more like 30-35 minutes)
- Drizzle with cream sauce and serve.
- Place all three ingredients into small sauce pan. Heat on low till warm. Pour over bread pudding and serve.
- Serves 4-8 (depending on if you share)
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!