This is hands down my husband’s favorite meal. Every birthday, anniversary, Valentine’s day etc…this is the meal he asks for: Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs served with a side of Caesar Salad. And I make it for him… because I am nice like that.
This post contains affiliate links from which I may make a commission. Your price remains the same)
Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs: Keeping It Simple While Making it Look and Taste Gourmet!
To keep this meal fairly simple we make the meatballs by hand but use a store bought sauce. It’s a great compromise that doesn’t look or taste like one! The meatballs are made with a combination of ground beef and ground pork mixed with bread crumbs, eggs, fresh herbs and spices, then browned in olive oil and finished right in the sauce. Divine!
Tips for Cooking Pasta!
When cooking pasta there are only a few things to remember:
1. Follow pasta box cooking instructions, they usually are right on.
2. Salt the water for flavor.
3. To keep pasta from sticking be sure to have lots of water in your pot, at least several inches above the pasta to allow room for expansion and be sure to stir frequently.
5. Little known fact, if serving immediately, do not rinse! Just tap the colander on the sink to remove extra water.
If there were one salad I would recommend any beginner or experienced chef get to know, it’s the Caesar! It adds so much to a meal. And while it looks tricky and time consuming, it’s so not. Just chop the romaine, whisk together the dressing, top with croutons and parmesan and you are ready to
stuff your face dine.
MAKING THIS MEAL GLUTEN FREE AND JUST AS GOOD!
If you live without gluten you don’t have to miss out on exceptional pasta! Jovial Foods makes the best gluten free pasta around. I am lucky enough to live by a store that carries it, but if you aren’t you can order it here! And for the meatballs try these GF panko breadcrumbs.
The Recipe: Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs
Homemade meatballs served with store bought sauce makes for an easy gourmet pasta meal!
- 16 oz spaghetti, cooked to package instructions (gluten free friends see link above)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley, leaves stripped from stems and chopped
- 1 teaspoon each: each: garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 10 oz ground beef
- 10 oz ground pork
- 6 cups your favorite organic spaghetti sauce
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 basil leaves chopped, for garnish
Set a large pot of salted water to boil. While you wait for water to boil, make meatballs:
In a bowl whisk together: egg, chopped parsley, spices, bread crumbs and parmesan
Add meat and combine with hands until well mixed
Use wet hands to form mixture into twelve 2" meatballs
In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking
Cook meatballs for five minutes, turning here and there to brown all sides (4-5 minutes) add pasta sauce to pan and bring to a simmer, cooking until meatballs are cooked through (about 5-6 minutes)
Turn off heat and cover
Add pasta to water and cook until pasta is al dente, stir occasionally to prevent sticking
Strain noodles, do not rinse, plate noodles and top with sauce and meat balls. Garnish with chopped basil. Serve with caesar salad linked above and enjoy!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!