Ciao! We just returned from the most fabulous trip to Italy. I have never been to Europe so my husband planned a trip for my 52nd birthday…which happened to fall on Mother’s day. We started our vacation in Rome. It is a very romantic city with narrow streets, charming old apartment buildings with terraces, balconies and window boxes spilling over with flowers, and of course some pretty delicious food. I came home inspired by the sights, the ambiance and the friendly, beautiful people! So inspired in fact that I came up with a new salad recipe that reminds me of Rome. The colors, the romance, the flavor…this is The Organic Kitchen “Roma Salad”.
It may be surprising to you that Italy doesn’t have a whole love of variety when it comes to salad. Every restaurant in every city we visited, whether a casual cafe or a swanky establishment offered only greens in a bowl with a bottle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the side so you could dress the salad yourself. Nothing fancy, maybe if you got lucky there would be sliced carrots and a tomato wedge. Needless to say I missed my salads! But the lack of salad was more than made up for by the fabulous breads, pasta and grilled vegetables we ate at almost every meal!
We stayed at the beautiful Portrait Hotel near the Spanish Steps in downtown Rome. We spent our days walking through the city, visiting museums, Vatican City and the ruins of the Colosseum and Forum. The highlight of our 3 days in Rome was seeing Michelangelo’s Pieta. It literally brought tears to my eyes.
If you would like to see a 30 second video of just a few of the 1800 photographs we took, click—> HERE
The Organic Kitchen Roma Salad is a quick and easy salad to make. What makes it really special though is the dressing, specifically the vinegar. It is called Prelibato and comes from Italy (big surprise). It by far the best white balsamic I have ever tasted, smooth and creamy with no acidic aftertaste! (affiliate links)
The Recipe: The Organic Kitchen Roma Salad
- For salad:
- 4 cups baby spring mix
- 1 cup watermelon, diced small (1/2")
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta (optional for my vegan friends or those living dairy free)
- 6 mint leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 T White Balsamic (I use Prelibato by Malphigi)
- 1 pinch sea salt (I use Maldon Flaked Sea Salt)
- a few turns freshly ground pepper
- Place all ingredients on a platter, dress, toss, finish with a pinch or two of sea salt. OR place greens on individual plates, top with watermelon, strawberries, feta and walnuts, drizzle with white balsamic and finish by placing a pinch of sea salt between your thumb and index finger and sprinkle a little on each salad.
- Place all ingredients in a container and shake or whisk.
Next week I will be sharing a Focaccia recipe from a cooking class we took in Positano! If you would like more recipes like this one please take a look at my cookbooks available in PDF for computer, iOS for iPad and iPhone and hardcover!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
Disclosure: We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated! Also, if you make any purchases using Amazon I would love it if you would use the affiliate links on this page (highlighted in this post or the Amazon banner in right sidebar). Your cost remains the same but I receive a small commission that helps keep this website up and running. Thanks in advance for your support! ~ Linda Spiker