Colder weather means comfort food. And I can’t think of a meal more comforting than good Old Fashioned Skillet Macaroni and Cheese!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
Look At That Crispy Top and Those Browned Edges!
So let’s just agree straight out of the gate that those boxed substitutes made with orange powder just can’t come close to the real thing! This Mac and Cheese is made with whole milk and sharp cheddar cheese, then baked in the oven to crispy perfection. You just can’t get that from a box.
Swoon. Sigh. Drool.
The great thing about a skillet mac and cheese is that the bottom and edges get crispy too, not just the top! But you can also bake this in a baking dish if you don’t have a skillet.
The Recipe: Old Fashioned Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Old Fashioned Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
This mac and cheese can be made in a skillet or a 9x13 baking dish.
- 16 oz macaroni or whatever curly pasta you choose, cooked to package instructions
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place rack in center position
- Start water to boil and cook pasta to package instructions
- While water heats, grate cheddar and slice onions
- Place milk in a small pot on medium heat to warm
- In skillet melt butter on med/high. If not using a skillet melt in a medium sized pot
- When butter is melted add a 1/4 cup green onions and sauté for 2 minutes
- Add flour and whisk until smooth about one minute. This is a roux. A roux thickens your cheese sauce
- Slowly pour warm milk into roux with one hand while whisking with the other
- Add 4 cups cheese one handful at a time whisking between additions (reserving one cup of cheese for later)
- Whisk until all cheese is melted and sauce is smooth
- Season with salt and pepper
- When pasta is ready (do not overcook!) add to skillet with cheese sauce and stir until well incorporated. (If baking in a baking dish, pour pasta into baking dish and then pour cheese sauce over)
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is crispy
- Garnish with remaining green onions, serve
Courses Main course
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!