A picture is worth a thousand words…but in this case perhaps more. This is The Organic Kitchen’s “Berries in a Pastry Basket”! It’s one of the most popular desserts I teach in my cooking classes here at The Organic Kitchen. It looks like a lot of work, but it isn’t because we use pre-made organic fillo dough to make our baskets.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
This dessert is gorgeous. I serve it at summer parties, baby and wedding showers and during the holidays, or any time at all!
1. Place a few sheets fillo on counter and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with sugar. Fillo dough can be found in the frozen section of most super markets. I buy my organic brand at Whole Food’s Market. Fillo dough is very thin, like sheets of paper. Traditionally you layer one sheet of fillo dough at a time, then brush (affiliate link) with butter, repeating many times. But here at the OK we make it easy by using three sheets at a time, repeating the steps only once. I really slather on that butter!
2. Cut pastry baskets and tuck them into a cupcake tin (affiliate link). The beauty of these delicate little baskets is that they don’t have to be perfect!
3. Prep berries, drizzle with lemon juice and powdered sugar and sprinkle with zest.
4. Make vanilla paste whipped cream…. yum. We make our whipped cream using Nielsen Massey Vanilla Paste (affiliate link) It is a paste instead of an extract, so it doesn’t have that alcohol aftertaste and tastes great straight out of the bottle! The paste also has vanilla bean flecks that make the cream even more beautiful.
See those lovely little flecks of vanilla bean?
Pretty simple isn’t it?
The Recipe: Berries in a Pastry Basket
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
The best whipped cream ever!
- ½ pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar or 6 drops Stevia extract
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or 1 tsp extract...but trust me on the paste people!
Place all ingredients in a bowl and use a hand mixer or wire whisk to beat till desired consistency.
Just before serving, spoon berries into pasty baskets and top with cream.
This dessert looks like a big deal but is actually very easy. Serve with whipped cream, recipe below