Ahhhh spring! I love the ‘lightness’ and color this season brings to the table. But sometimes I want that lightness and color while still craving the warmth of a soup or chili. This Chicken and White Bean Chili offers the best of both worlds, and it’s made in under 30 minutes!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
This simple chili is made with ground chicken, sweet white onions, freshly diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, white beans, hominy (say what?) and is seasoned with cumin, cayenne, and chili powder, giving this recipe all kinds of flavor! Then I top it all off with sour cream and a few avocado slices. The sour cream kind of melts into the chili giving it a thick, creamy texture and the avocados…well I am a Californian, we add them to everything!
So What the Heck is Hominy?
Hominy is dried corn that has been soaked in a lime mineral bath. It’s a key ingredient to many Mexican foods and is used to make grits. So chances are even if you didn’t know it, you have eaten it. It makes a nice addition to this springtime chili. You could always use regular corn, but I highly recommend trying the hominy! You can usually find hominy next to the canned corn.
The Recipe: Spring Chicken and White Bean Chili
Tips and what you need: how hot you want your chili is up to personal taste, so season accordingly. If you need to know how to chop an onion I just happen to have a video tutorial you can watch that will teach you how to get the job done in about 60 seconds. You will need a stock pot, a good knife and a microplane if you prefer to grate garlic rather than mince it. It’s a bit of a time saver.
Chicken and White Bean Chili
A bright and sunny spring chili with artichoke hearts and topped with avocado and sour cream. I recommend not skipping the sour cream (unless you are dairy free) because it melts into the chili giving it a wonderful, thick creamy consistency!
- 1 large sweet white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pound ground chicken (breast or dark meat, up to you)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated with a microplane
- 1-15 oz can white beans (also called navy beans or Great Northern Beans)
- 1 cup hominy (or regular corn if preferred, hominy is usually found nexted to the canned corn)
- 1-15oz can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more at the end if desired. I usually end up using more)
- 2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Place stock pot on high heat, add olive oil, chopped onions and ground chicken
- Cook stirring frequently for about 7 minutes, turn heat to medium if needed
- Sprinkle generously with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- While chicken cooks, mince or grate garlic, drain and rinse beans and hominy, drain and chop artichoke hearts, chop the tomatoes
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne to meat and onions
- Stir and cook for another minute until fragrant, be sure to mix seasoning in well
- Add tomatoes, white beans, artichoke hearts and chicken stock
- Bring to a boil, cover pot with lid
- Turn down to a simmer and cook for 12 more minutes
- While chili cooks, slice avocados
- Before plating chili, taste and add more sea salt, pepper or cayenne if needed
- Dish chili into bowls, top with a dollop of sour cream, a few avocado slices and sprigs of cilantro
Courses Main Course
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!