Nothing says “Be Mine” like a romantic dinner for two.
Why fight the crowds in restaurants, spend too much and wait… twiddle your thumbs… and wait some more…even with a reservation, when you can make something like this yourself? This is The Organic Kitchen ‘Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken’ served atop roasted asparagus and drizzled with an herbed cream sauce.
Tender seasoned chicken cutlets…
…soft creamy goat cheese…
…freshly chopped spinach…
…rolled and popped in the oven! That’s all there is to it!
While the chicken is baking prepare the asparagus…
…and the cream sauce.
The Recipe: Stuffed Chicken Breast and Grilled Asparagus
You will need a rimmed baking sheet (like this) unbleached parchment paper (like this) and a pastry brush (like this). I love my battery operated pepper mill! It allows me to prep with one hand and leaves the other free to touch chicken without worrying about cross contamination! Affiliate links
- For Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded into 4 cutlets
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- garlic powder
- 8oz soft goat cheese, room temp (so it's soft and spreadable)
- 1½ cups chopped spinach
- Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 T butter
- 2 tsp flour, or 1 tsp arrow root powder if you live gluten free
- 2 T fresh dill, chopped
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 T Capers
- 1 large bunch asparagus
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Place asparagus on plate, top with chicken. You can either leave the breast whole (pictured at top of post) or slice into pinwheels so the stuffing can be seen. Drizzle with cream sauce, garnish with remaining chopped dill and serve!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Chicken Preparation
- Make cutlets by cutting breast in half width wise, placing between plastic and pounding with a rolling pin till chicken is about a ¼ inch thick (see photos).
- Season one side with lightly with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Turn seasoned side down and use a spatula to spread soft goat cheese on unseasoned side.
- If goat cheese does not spread easily, it's ok. The cheese will spread out as it cooks.
- Top each cutlet with chopped spinach. Roll up chicken breast and stuffing and place seam side down on parchment covered rimmed cookie sheet.
- If you can, place all chicken to one side of cookie sheet leaving room to add asparagus later. Place in oven and cook for 35 minutes. If chicken breast are really large you may need to cook 5 minutes longer. While chicken cooks prepare cream sauce and asparagus.
- Cream Sauce Preparation
- Place sauce pan on medium/high heat. Add butter, when melted add arrowroot or flour and whisk. Slowly add cream while whisking. When cream thickens a bit, turn off heat. Add a few turns of freshly ground pepper, a few pinches of sea salt and chopped dill. Add capers and reheat right before serving.
- Asparagus Preparation
- Brush asparagus with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Add to cookie sheet with chicken the last 10 minutes of cooking or use separate parchment covered cookie sheet.
Just decadent enough to be satisfying while light enough so you still feel like doing…other things…wink, wink.
DISCLOSURE: I make a small profit (tiny really) from purchases made through affiliate links in this post. It allows me to keep this fabulous site up and running! Let it be noted that your cost remains the same and I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust! Pinky swear!
Post tags: gluten free, holiday, special occasion