In my last post I shared how I make rich brown nourishing chicken broth. So now it’s time for the next step! We need to take this simple chicken stock and…
…turn it into this beautiful soup!
This is The Organic Kitchen Chunky Chicken Soup. Rich, warm, tasty and basically a big bowl of health! Lot’s of vegetables, homemade bone broth, and fresh roasted roasted chicken. Perfection!
We use leftover chicken and the broth we made from that same chicken for this soup. You don’t really need a lot of left over chicken for soup, a cup will do, but if you have more use it! Sometimes I have a lot of chicken leftover, sometimes I have none. When that happens I will use some organic rotisserie chicken from the market instead.
Then we add fresh veggies…you may wonder why we throw out the vegetables we used to make the broth instead of cutting them up and adding them to our soup. The vegetables we used to cook our broth have lost their flavor and become quite mushy after 16-24 hours of simmering. We want our vegetables fresh and full of color and flavor, so we simmer them in the broth for only 15 minutes or so.
We add a can of diced tomatoes to thicken and add flavor to the broth, then add some sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste….
And very quickly we have soup!
The Recipe: Chunky Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Make chicken broth from my last post. After broth is made, instead of freezing, pour broth back into stock pot. Then follow recipe below. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Corn, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash etc. I used the following because that it what I had:)
- 10-12 cups Homemade broth
- 2 cups shredded roasted chicken (leftover from the roasted chicken you used to make broth or a store bought rotisserie)
- 4 carrots, sliced diagonally ¼"
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 6-7 new rose potatoes, diced ½"
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 can artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained and quartered
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced (see video on how to chop and onion here)
- ⅛-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (start with ⅛ tsp and taste before adding more
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2T freshly chopped parsley
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer. Add carrots, celery, onions and parsley to broth. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, then simmer for 10-12 more minutes or until a fork can easily pierce vegetables but they are still firm (no mushy veggies!) Add fresh or frozen peas, artichoke hearts, diced chicken and tomatoes. Turn off heat. Let sit for a few minutes so peas and chicken warm up. Add freshly turned pepper, cayenne pepper and sea salt, stir. Taste, make adjustments till you are happy. Serve. I like to freeze leftovers in glass individual sized containers so I always have a healthy soup on hand when I have little time to cook!
Thanks for stopping in and please subscribe! Take a look at my cookbooks here.
DISCLOSURE: I make a small (tiny really) profit from purchases made through affiliate links in this post. It allows me to keep this fabulous site up and running! Let it be noted that your cost remains the same and I only recommend products or services I have personally used and trust! Pinky swear!
Post tags: main course, gluten free, dairy free, grain free