Salads are my go to, my favorite way to get my greens, veggies, protein and healthy fats in one fell swoop. This Easy Blackened Chicken and Quinoa Salad has it all, plus a little kick!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
Beautiful, colorful and healthy! And it feeds a crowd, you can’t get any better than that. Oh wait, yes you can, start to finish this meal takes about 30 minutes, but you can speed up the process by making quinoa in advance. I cook larger batches of quinoa, rice (basically any grain that keeps well) and pull it out as I need it.
Photos by Octavia Kathryn
Quinoa is a grain from South America that is high in protein, fiber and healthy fats, and believe it or not quinoa is related to beetroot, spinach and tumbleweeds! It is similar to rice in that it isn’t very flavorful on it’s own but takes on the flavors of what it is cooked in/with. I usually cook mine in broth for more flavor but water works fine too, especially with this salad because it is already loaded with flavor.
The Greens and Add Ons:
I use crispy Romaine in this salad and add traditional salad choices like tomatoes, cucumbers and onions, then I toss in a handful of roasted salted cashews and some firm ripe avocados. Heaven!
The Lime Vinaigrette!
Limes, olive oil, honey and sea salt make for a sweet and tangy dressing that works perfectly with the blackened cajun spices and salty cashews!
The Recipe: Easy Blackened Chicken and Quinoa Salad
Tips and what you will need: You will need a good knife, and a good pan.
Easy Blackened Chicken and Quinoa Salad
A vibrant, tasty. complete meal salad!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked in 2 cups broth or water according to package directions
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- generous pinch sea salt
- a few turns of freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 1 cup cherry tomato medley, slice tomatoes in half
- ½ cup roasted salted cashews
- ½ small cucumber, peeled and diced
- ¼ of small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2-3 cups shredded rotisserie or leftover roasted chicken
- olive oil
- blackened cajun spice
- Cook quinoa with broth or water according to package instructions, strain and allow to cool. While quinoa is cooling, make vinaigrette by placing all ingredients into a mason jar and shaking or whisking until emulsified.
- Prepare lettuce, vegetables, avocado and nuts. Place on platter.
- Shred rotisserie or leftover roasted chicken.
- Place pan on medium heat. Reheat chicken until warm.
- Sprinkle with cajun spice mix to your liking. Stir.
- Toss cooled quinoa into greens. Add chicken and toss again.
- Dress salad and toss, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve
Courses Main Course Salad
More Recipes Using Cajun Spices:
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
Post tags: Gluten free, dairy free