In California we don’t wait until Taco Tuesday to indulge. Tacos are a staple. And we like a wide variety: fish tacos, sweet potato tacos, pulled pork tacos…anything goes! Today I am sharing a recipe for Fresh Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Tacos with a chicken and vegetarian option.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
I made this meal in less than 25 minutes. The filling is a combination of sautéed fresh green onions, corn off the cob, jalapeño, zucchini and black beans finished with a Mexican Mole spice blend.
Garnishes and Tortillas:
In my opinion, the garnishes for tacos are just as important as the filling! They add a ton of flavor and texture. I top these tasty tacos with roasted salted Pepitas, cilantro, avocado, lime juice and Cotija cheese. The 100% corn tortillas were cooked right on the burner for less clean up.
The Chicken Option:
The Recipe: Fresh Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Tacos
Tips and what you will need: Everything in this recipe is easily found at the grocery store. Cotija cheese is a crumbly cheese usually found in the deli section. If you can’t find a Mexican Mole Spice Blend you can have it delivered to your door. Tip: If you are lucky enough to have a good Mexican restaurant nearby where they make fresh tortillas daily, I highly recommend picking some up instead of using pre-made store bought tortillas!
Fresh Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Tacos
Yield 4 -6
Vegetarian or chicken tacos made in less than 25 minutes!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 scallions (green onions) trimmed and sliced
- 4 ears corn, husked, kernels shaved off cob
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 -15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons Mexican Mole spice blend
- 2 cups chicken (optional)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 8 100% corn tortillas
Prep the vegetables:
- Trim ends from green onions and slice thinly
- Shuck the corn, place corn ear pointy end down inside a bowl and shave kernels off with knife
- Rinse the black beans, set aside.
- Thinly slice the jalapeño pepper.
Prep the garnishes:
- Peel and slice avocados
- Wash cilantro and pat dry
- Cut the lime into wedges.
If using roasted or rotisserie chicken begin heating in a separate pan.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add green onions and cook for 2- 3 minutes. Add the corn cook for 2 more minutes, add zucchini and jalapeño. Cook for several more minutes. Add black beans and lower heat. Stir in the Mexican spice blend cover pan with lid.
While mixture is cooking, warm the tortillas:
- On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in the pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla until just pliable, about 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer the tortillas to individual plates. Spoon in the corn and bean mixture (and chicken if using). Top with avocado and cilantro. Sprinkle with the Cotija cheese and pumpkin seeds, and serve with the lime wedges on the side.
Courses Main Course
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!