Nothing says spring and summer like Fresh Fish Tacos! When it comes to warm weather recipes, fresh is the name of the game and these fish tacos are as fresh as they come. They also happen to be full of antioxidants, healthy fats, and protein, and are gluten and dairy free.These tacos are so fresh and flavorful you will hard pressed to find better in a restaurant!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission from sales but your price remains the same.)
Lets Talk Fish!
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk about buying fish:
1. It’s best not to buy fish wrapped in plastic. You should be able to smell the fish you are buying. I always buy mine from a fishmonger I trust. If he is handling it, cutting it etc… he will know if it’s not fresh.
2. Always buy fish the day you plan on making it.
3. When selecting fish always point to the piece you want. In stores the freshest fish is placed in the front of the window, closest to you, and the fish from the day before is placed in the back, closest to the fishmonger. So when you are looking at the fish closest to you and ask for it, he pulls it from the back. It doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with that fish from the day before, it’s just not the freshest…and you want the freshest!
4. If it’s available to you, use wild caught salmon.
My homemade Pico de Gallo is a super easy and tasty option, but you can also use your favorite store bought salsa or pico de gallo if you don’t have time to make your own.
I also LOVE Mango Salsa on fish tacos. The blend of savory, sweet and salty is perfection!
Chunky guacamole is always a fabulous choice as well!
For me, tacos aren’t just about the filling, to be fabulous they need a great tortilla. One option people don’t often think about is buying freshly made tortillas from a local Mexican restaurant. Luckily my favorite happens to be right next to Whole Foods market where I buy my fish.
First cut the fish into chunks.
Then season the fish with sea salt, freshly ground pepper (affiliate links) and garlic powder, then sauté it in coconut oil, butter or ghee. If you are using two kinds of fish, like me, try to keep them separated in the pan.
Then just build your taco! Place the fish, crispy romaine, salsa and fresh sprigs of cilantro, drizzle with lime and voila!
The Recipe: Fresh Fish Tacos and Homemade Salsa
Tips: if you want to make everything from scratch try my homemade Pico de Gallo or Chunky Guacamole!
Nothing says spring and summer like Fresh Fish Tacos! When it comes to warm weather recipes, fresh is the name of the game and these fish tacos are as fresh as they come. They also happen to be full of antioxidants, healthy fats, and protein and are gluten and dairy free.
- 12 oz fresh halibut or salmon (or 6 oz of each) cut into 1" cubes
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, ghee or butter
- 1 lime quartered
- handful of cilantro sprigs
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- fresh pico de gallo, chunky guacamole, and mango salsa recipes linked above (lime crema recipe below)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or crema
- juice and zest of 1/2 a small lime
- small pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut fish into 1" cubes, lightly season with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Place large pan on cooktop on medium heat. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil, butter or ghee.
When melted add fish to pan, turning as each side browns. Fish should be done in about 6 minutes.
Top with lime crema, pico de gallo, mango salsa, chunky guacamole and cilantro sprigs
In a small bowl whisk together sour cream or crema, lime juice, zest, sea salt and pepper, use to top tacos
Healthy, delicious and easy, the perfect spring dinner! If you enjoyed this recipe. please subscribe for my FREE weekly recipe newsletter! (just under my picture on the right sidebar)
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
These look amazing! I think we will have them for lunch some time this week. My kids will love them.
Thanks. They are delicious I am sure you will all love them!
First, these look amazing amazing!! I’m a bit clueless as to how to be creative with fish, so I’ll be making these soon! Thank you for some inspiration in the fish department. Second, I love your new design! Beautiful!!
Thanks Kristin! I love it too…still trying to figure out the fonts!
Beautiful dish! Simple and nutritious, that is how I love my meals.
I am with you Anna! Thanks for the comment:)
Yum! Those look delicious! The new site design looks great.
Thank you Erin!
Fish tacos are my favorite healthy way to consume those certain types of fish that are more “fishy” tasting like cod or halibut. Definitely putting this on my menu for next week! Thanks! 🙂
You are welcome. I hope you enjoy your tacos!
Simplicity at its finest! Love the colors and the fresh ingredients to make this a truly delightful dish.
Wow these looks AMAZING. I can taste the freshness by the photos! Definitely on my must try list.
Love the new look!
Thank you Loriel:)