I can not say enough good things about this salad! Fresh baby spinach, tender roasted carrots, al dente Israeli couscous and pine nuts tossed in a flavorful white balsamic vinaigrette. Truly salad perfection!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
For light eaters this salad can be a complete meal, for those that require a little more substance, serve alongside this roasted chicken.
There is nothing to roasting carrots. Just peel, slice diagonally, toss in olive oil, sea salt, pepper and a little dill and pop in the oven to roast until the carrots are tender and the edges are browned.
The White Balsamic
The dressing on this salad is smooth and creamy with no acidic aftertaste and that is because I use the best white balsamic vinegar on the market, Prelibato from the Malpighi family of Italy (affiliate link). This white balsamic is made with white grapes and aged slowly in wooden vats, it’s actually quite the science! . I could drink this stuff straight out of the bottle.
But we aren’t done yet. Once the salad is dressed and plated we take a pinch of sea salt (affiliate link) between the thumb and forefinger and sprinkle a bit on top of the salad for a salty little ‘bite’!
The Recipe: Baby Spinach Salad with Roasted Carrots and Israeli Couscous:
If you are like me and can’t eat spinach, just sub with baby greens.
Baby Spinach Salad with Roasted Carrots and Israeli Couscous
This delicious salad is a meal all by itself! The Israeli Couscous and roasted carrots make it really filling. Be sure to use a high quality white balsamic. It truly makes a difference. We use Prelibato brand, creamy and smooth! Link posted above.
- 1- 5 oz bag spinach
- 8 large carrots, peeled, cut on the diagonal, thinly sliced ( ¼ inch thick)
- 1/2 cup Israeli couscous prepared to package instructions
- ½ cup roasted pine Nuts
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Dried dill
White Balsamic Dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablspoons white balsamic
- 2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Peel carrots, thinly slice on the diagonal. Place on parchment covered rimmed cookie sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with dill, sea salt and pepper. Roast in oven till cooked and the edges of carrots are slightly brown (25-30 minutes) Allow carrots to cool a bit before adding to salad.
- While carrots are roasting, toast pine nuts and cook Israeli couscous as package instructions indicate. Rinse with water to cool, drizzle with olive oil, stir and set aside.
- Place spinach on a platter, add cooled carrots, couscous and pine nuts. Drizzle with dressing and toss. Plate and lightly sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Don't forget this step!
- Combine ingredients in glass jar with lid and shake! Lightly dress salad. Dressing be used for up to two weeks if refrigerated
This salad truly is a unique and beautiful main course or side dish. If you liked this recipe please subscribe for my free weekly recipe newsletter (upper right sidebar just under my picture) and share on social media. Thanks ~ Linda Spiker
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!