Citrus is in season. I am convinced limes, lemons, tangerines, oranges and grapefruits are nature’s way of bringing a little color and sunshine into the lives of people that have to endure a long, cold winter. Oh, and the smell of citrus…just heavenly!
I think pink grapefruit might just be my favorite citrus fruit. I think it is perfection as is, but sometimes when I want to spruce it up a bit I sprinkle it with super fine sugar and use a brûlée torch to make grapefruit brûlée. (affiliate links)
Just like creme brûlée the melted sugar becomes shiny and glasslike and needs to be cracked with a spoon to eat! So easy, lovely and elegant, serve on a beautiful serving board and it’s perfect for a weekend brunch.
Another lovely and unique way to serve grapefruit is to sprinkle with sugar, place under the broiler and serve warm sprinkled with mint!
The Recipes: Grapefruit Brûlée and Broiled Grapefruit with Mint
A delicious twist on an already delicious fruit!
- Pink grapefruit (cold)
- Super fine sugar
- Cut ends of grapefruit off so fruit will lay flat without rolling around, then cut grapefruit in half, removes seeds and use a grapefruit knife to cut around grapefruit sections.
- Sprinkle generously with superfine sugar.
- Hold brulee torch about 3" from fruit making small circles till sugar melts and bubbles.
- When sugar bubbles and turns a little golden move to a new area.
- When all the sugar is melted, allow to cool till sugar becomes hard, like glass.
- Serve cold
Courses Breakfast or Brunch
Broiled Grapefruit with Mint
A warm twist ona fruit usually served cold!
- Pink grapefruit
- Sugar (your choice, white or brown)
- mint for garnish, chopped
- Turn oven to broil and place rack about 8" from heating element.
- Cut the ends off grapefruit (so it sits flat without rolling around) and then cut in half.
- Remove seeds and use a grapefruit knife with section grapefruit.
- Place grapefruit on a parchment covered cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place in oven. When sugar melts and bubbles, remove from oven.
- Garnish with fresh mint. Serve warm
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
Post tags: gluten free, grain free, dairy free, breakfast, brunch