“On earth, there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it” ~ Jules Renard
We feel like we have found our little piece of heaven here on earth in the gorgeous mountains of Sundance, Utah.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
We spent the first week of fall in our little home away from home. Although the drought has taken it’s toll on the fall foliage, forcing the best color to peak early and diminish quickly, we still enjoyed the beautiful colors that we just don’t get to see in California.
We rode the ski lift up the mountain, took bike rides, and hiked to Stewart Falls…
The weather was beautiful and quite warm during the day…summer still holding on, but in the evenings autumn won the tug of war and sweaters were worn and hot chocolate made!
The oven in our cabin is …to say the least…less than perfect (or perhaps it’s the altitude, or both, I really have no idea) which leaves me in a pickle when it comes to cooking dinner. I want to roast a chicken but it takes forever up here! So this trip I pulled out a tasty recipe that feels warm and comforting but cooks quickly (even in a less than desirable oven). Bacon Sriracha Chicken Skewers and Coconut Rice…
Bake or Grill!
I am very into platter meals these days. I love the idea that everyone gathers around the table and pulls from one large platter. A very communal meal indeed. And it can be made in the oven or on the grill, making it a terrific year round meal!
The ingredients that make this the perfect fall comfort meal are bacon, sriracha sauce (the hipsters hot sauce) and rich creamy coconut milk! I also use panko bread crumbs (available gluten free here, I have your back my GF friends) If you live grain free, almond flour works great too!
The Creamy Coconut Rice:
Trust me on this, if you haven’t tried coconut rice, you must. It’s incredibly simple: just cook the rice in water and coconut milk for a rich creamy rice that make the perfect accompaniment to this flavorful meal!
The Recipe: Bacon Sriracha Chicken Skewers and Coconut Rice
Tips and what you will need: To make the most of your time, start the rice a few minutes before placing skewers in oven. You will need sriracha sauce, coconut milk, parchment paper, a rimmed cookie sheet, 6″ wooden skewers, a steaming pot, and a skillet. I use panko bread crumbs (available gluten free here). I serve with steamed broccoli, but you can also use my blanched green beans, or honey and ginger roasted carrots.
Bacon Sriracha Chicken Skewers and Coconut Rice
Yield 4 servings
I spicy chicken skewer served on coconut rice. Make in the oven or on the grill!
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, shake well
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced finely
- 1-2 clove sgarlic, peeled and minced
- 4 Tablespoons parsley, chopped (2 Tablespoons reserved for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (Gluten Bread crumbs or almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- one head organic broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
For Chicken skewers:
- If making on the grill, clean and spray grill, preheat to 400 degrees. If making in the oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees and place parchment paper on cookie sheet
- Cook bacon till done but not crispy, remove bacon and set on paper towels, when cool, chop.
- Pour out all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and then add onions to pan. Saute for 3 minutes, add garlic and coriander to pan and saute 60 more seconds
- In a bowl combine ground chicken, chopped bacon, onion mixture, panko bread crumbs or almond flour, 2 Tablespoons sriracha, 2 T parsley and mix with hands until well combined.
- Form into 6 large meatballs and form around skewers (start coconut rice now)
- For grill: place skewers on grill, close lid and cook for 15-18 minutes, turning half way through cooking time. For oven: Place skewers on parchment covered cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through.
- When chicken has about ten minutes left, start steaming broccoli.
For coconut rice:
- Place water, pinch sea salt, coconut milk and rice in sauce pan and bring to boil. Lower to simmer and place lid on pot.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve skewers on top of rice, surround with broccoli and garnish with extra parsley and serve with a little dish of sriracha for dipping.
Enjoy my friends! And have a wonderful fall! And if you love this meal, let me know in the comments below!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A LITTLE FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
post tags: gluten free option, dairy free