Heirloom tomatoes are plentiful right now, but soon won’t be. Don’t fret though, even when heirloom tomatoes are out of season this recipe is delicious with plain old red tomatoes. I was lucky enough to have friends with amazing tomato gardens that gave me the beauties you see here.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
Yum. This salad is a favorite of mine. I love fresh, ripes tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar. Combine them and you have a winning recipe! How to “Chiffonade” Basil:
I use plenty of basil in this recipe! Leave some basil leaves whole and the rest, ‘chiffonade’ by stacking your leaves, rolling them tightly and then slicing. So easy even a novice in the kitchen can do it!
The Caprese Stack Salad Recipe
The Caprese Stack Salad
Yield 6 servings
- 1 -5 oz bag baby greens
- ⅓ cup basil leaf chiffonade
- 12 whole basil leaves
- 8 oz Mozzarella packed in water, thinly sliced
- 3 yellow heirloom tomatoes, 2 sliced, 1 diced
- 3 red heirloom tomatoes, 2 sliced, 1 diced
- ½ a small red onion, diced finely
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Slice and dice tomatoes. Place sliced cheese and tomatoes on a flat dish. Drizzle lightly with balsamic dressing and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Place greens on a platter. Add diced onions, tomatoes and basil, toss. Dress with vinaigrette and toss. Plate salad on individual salad plates and “stack” alternately layers of cheese, yellow tomato, basil leaf, cheese, red tomato, basil leaf, cheese…
- Combine ingredients, whisk till blended well, drizzle over salad and toss. Extra dressing can be saved for two weeks.
I hope this salad soon becomes a family favorite! ~ Linda Spiker
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are in alignment with The Organic Kitchen’s ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers. The Organic Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.