Butternut squash is my favorite vegetable. It is versatile, loaded with nutrients, tastes sweet and has a beautiful color, which, of course makes a beautiful soup! This Creamy Butternut Squash Soup takes only 30 minutes to make, freezes beautifully and I offer a paleo/Whole 30 option.
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales but your price remains the same.)
How to Work with Butternut Squash:
Working with butternut squash can be difficult unless you have the right tools. You need a good sharp knife (my favorite) and a “Y” peeler (affiliate links). With these two tools peeling and cutting a butternut squash is a piece of cake!
How To Make the Soup:
After dicing, simply boil the squash in broth until soft (see how to make your own broth here). Add spices and caramelized onions….
… then blend with half and half, or for a dairy free version use coconut milk. I use a Blendtec Blender. If a new Blendtec isn’t in the budget you may wish to consider a factory certified reconditioned blender for about half the price! I got one and I love it! See the Factory Re-certified Blendtec Total Blender Classic Series.
Or you could use an immersion blender and blend right in the pot. It takes a little longer but still works, just be really thorough.
A creamy, nutrient dense, delicious fall soup in a half hour. By the way this soup freezes beautifully!
The Recipe: Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
If you are using store bought broth follow the directions below. If you are using my homemade broth leave out the black pepper. If needed use sea salt to taste. You will need a large stock pot.
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Yield 6 -8
Creamy dreamy butternut squash soup in a half hour. To make a dairy free version use coconut milk instead of half and half.
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 medium chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 6 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 32 oz chicken or veggie broth (recipe linked above)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (If you are using my homemade broth, skip the pepper)
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cup shalf and half
- Sea salt to taste
- Toasted pine nuts, dried cranberries or chives for garnish (optional)
- In large stock pot, bring broth, squash, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper to boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut squash is very tender (about 15 minutes).
- While squash is simmering, sauté onion in a small pan with garlic and butter till soft.
- When squash has cooked for 15 minutes add sautéed onions and half and half to squash mixture, stir.
- Ladle into a blender and very carefully puree until smooth.
- You may have to split into portions to fit your blender (or use a hand held immersion blender). Return to pot and heat thru. Do not bring to a boil again.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Garnish with chives and toasted pine nuts.
I think this is a perfect fall winter soup! Enjoy ~ Linda Spiker
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
Soup, main course, side dish, gluten free, dairy free option, vegetarian and vegan option