If you have been reading my blog for a while or come to my cooking classes you know salads are my thing. I love salads. They are so versatile and no matter the time of year you can toss together seasonal ingredients to make a masterpiece. This Kale Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette is the perfect example!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales, your price remains the same)
Preparation and helpful hints:
Kale is a hearty plant and can be a little difficult to chew if left as is. To make kale easier to eat I like to soak it in a large bowl (or the sink) for ten minutes, swishing the kale around here and there. Then I remove the ‘ribs’ (the thick, stringy center of each leaf). After drying, I stack a few leaves, roll them and thinly slice. This makes kale tender and easy to eat!
The Citrus Vinaigrette
A simple combination of lemon, lime and orange juice blended with heart healthy olive oil with a slight kick of cayenne pepper!
Add Some Fun! Pickled Grapes:
Pickling fruit and veggies is a really fun way to add flavor and texture to a salad. You need to prepare grapes a day ahead. This was my first experience with pickling and I loved it! The pickled grapes add flavor and texture to this salad.
The Recipe: Kale Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
This salad utilizes seasonal fruit and greens making it a fabulous salad for winter! Make the pickled grapes a day ahead.
- 1/2 pound red grapes
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups kale rib removed, soaked and dried (see instructions in blog post above)
- 1/4 cup fresh red currants (if unavailable sub with blueberries)
- 1/4 cup fresh red grapes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup pickled grapes (make a day ahead)
- 1/4 of a gala apple, 1/4 inch julienne (like matchsticks)
- 6 fresh figs, thinly sliced
- pinch sea salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sheep's milk feta cheese crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted , chopped
- 2 teaspoons shallot, small chop
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Wash and remove grapes from stems. Slice the stem end off each grape
In a small sauce pan whisk together vinegar, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
Place all spices in large mason jar. Add trimmed grapes to jar. Pour hot vinegar over grapes. Allow to cool, then place in fridge. They will be ready to use after 24 hours
in a metal mixing bowl combine kale, currants, grapes, pickled grapes, apple and a 1/3 cup of the citrus vinaigrette; toss together by hand. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Add more dressing if needed.
Next pile salad on a plate and top with feta and hazelnuts, serve.
Combine all ingredients except oil in a blender and mix till smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil in a steady stream till well incorporated.
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!