Many years ago we were in New York City. We were on our way to see a play and had neglected to make dinner reservations. We passed by a French restaurant and saw some tables open. We popped in and were lucky enough to get a table. And there in that lovely French restaurant I had the best Spinach Salad I had ever tasted!
(This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission off sales which allows me to keep my site up and running. Thanks for your support!)
The salad itself was so simple, but lovely and flavorful with a ‘bite’ of crunchy sea salt. I came home and immediately set about making my own version. It did not disappoint and remains a favorite to this day!
Spinach, roasted pine nuts, dried cranberries and a perfectly ripe avocado dressed with the most incredible white balsamic vinaigrette. That, my friends is all there is to it!
When making any recipe with so few ingredients it is important to make sure those ingredients are very high quality. I can’t rave enough about the Prelibato White Balsamic Vinegar we use here at The Organic Kitchen…it’s smooth and creamy unlike the acidic white balsamic vinegars found at the grocery store, which are usually a blend of white grapes and distilled vinegar. Prelibato White Balsamic vinegar is made from white or golden grapes which are aged in wooden vats for 12 years to develop it’s rich flavor.
Be sure to use a high quality extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic. Some people avoid using fresh garlic because they don’t like the smell garlic leaves on their hands. To see a quick and easy way of solving this problem watch this 90 second video.
This is Maldon flaked sea salt. After dressing the salad I take a pinch between our thumb and index finger and grind a little onto each salad just before serving! This provides a salty bite that gives this salad an extraordinary flavor.
Simple ingredients, a fantastic dressing and a crunch of sea salt make this salad a year round staple.
The Recipe: Spinach Salad with White Balsamic
- 1 5oz bag organic baby spinach
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
- handful dired cranberries
- handful roasted pine nuts
- 1 pinch sea salt
- White Balsamic Dressing:
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3T white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Generous pinch Maldon Flaked Sea Salt
- a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- Place all salad ingredients on a platter.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk till emulsified.
- Lightly dress salad and toss.
- Place salad on plate and 'finish' by placing a pinch of sea salt between the thumb and index finger and gently rub the fingers together sprinkling the salt lightly over the salad. Eat and enjoy!
MAY I PLEASE ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!
Post tags: salads, avocado, avocados, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, vegetables, vegetable, grain free