Four years ago we took the most incredible two week vacation to Italy. What an amazing country! The people are friendly, the history, incredible, and scenery and countryside are astounding. And the food? Well…heavenly! Especially the pasta. We took some cooking classes while there and we learned to make this Simple Fettuccine Alfredo. I hope you love it as much as we do!
(This post contains affiliate links from which I may make a commission, your price remains the same)
How Italians Do Alfredo:
Italians make Alfredo sauce differently than we Americans. We usually use cream, they don’t. They use a simple combination of parmesan and butter. Can’t go wrong there!
TIPS ON COOKING PASTA:
When cooking pasta there are only a few things to remember:
1. Follow pasta box cooking instructions, they usually are right on
2. Salt the water for flavor
3. To keep pasta from sticking be sure to have lots of water in your pot, at least several inches above the pasta to allow room for expansion as pasta cooks
4. Stir frequently
KEEP IT SIMPLE, OR ADD ON!
You can keep this pasta simple, just pasta, butter, and parmesan, this makes a beautiful, simple, traditional Alfredo sauce. Or you can add in a little, pancetta, basil, pine nuts. garlic, lemon zest etc… one of the beautiful things about pasta is just about anything goes! If you would like to serve with a salad, try this simple salad!
MAKING THIS MEAL GLUTEN FREE AND JUST AS GOOD!
If you live without gluten you don’t have to miss out on exceptional pasta! Jovial Foods makes the best gluten free pasta around. I am lucky enough to live by a store that carries it, but if you aren’t you can order it here!
The Recipe: Simple Fettuccine Alfredo
A simple authentic Italian Pasta with Alfredo Sauce! Optional ingredients are offered if you want to flavor it up!
- 16 oz fettuccine, cooked to package instructions (minus one minute)
- 6 oz (1 1/2 sticks or 12 tablespoons) softened butter
- 8 oz freshly and finely grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz pancetta (Italian bacon) cooked and chopped, used as a garnish
- 10 basil leaves, chopped, , used as a garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, , used as a garnish
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced, added to sauce
- zest of one lemon, added to sauce
Set a large stock pot of water to boil, cook pasta to package instruction minus 1 minute. While pasta water heats and pasta cooks, prepare the other ingredients
If using: cook pancetta in a pan (like bacon), allow to cool and chop. If using basil, chop and set aside.
Use a hand mixer to beat butter and parmesan cheese together. (if using garlic or lemon zest add now)
When pasta is almost done cooking, remove 1/2 cup pasta water. Add 1/4 cup pasta water to butter and cheese mixture. Stir to create a sauce. If sauce needs thinning, add more pasta water a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
Strain pasta (do not rinse) and immediately pour into a large bowl. Add Alfredo sauce and toss well. Add sea salt and pepper to taste, toss again.
Add pasta to plates and top with pancetta, basil and/or pine nuts if using.
MAY I ASK A FAVOR?
We small bloggers need all the help we can get. Subscribing and sharing on social media is very appreciated!